Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked already.
I changed my very dim standard bulb with an LED one.
Much brighter note, but, there is a black line on the road from my bike too about 5 metres in front of me.
Secondly, the high beam makes little to no difference.
When I stand in front of the bike, I can only see half of the headlight is lit up.
Am I missing something here? Do I have the wrong bulb?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Looks like a typical LED replacement. The description of the black line is interesting. Have you removed the lamp for inspection, reinstalled with the same result?
While the H4 base is keyed for orientation in the lens/reflector assembly, it can be be installed incorrectly. The lack of a noticeable difference in low & high beam brightness could result from poor reflection of a bulb not oriented correctly.
Having the upper half of the globe lit for low beam matches my experience. High beam then also lights up my lower portion of the globe. *I do not have the OEM lens/reflector in place, I had changed to a better Xenon lamp & reflector early on. Have since replaced the bulb with a similar LED unit

Reactions: Ianf13

·
Registered
'06 Speedmaster, Sceptre Pipes, K&N Pods, SAI Delete, TTP Igniter & Coils
58 Posts
@Ianf13:
I agree with MM... your bulb may not be oriented properly in your headlight housing... is the particular bulb you've installed "clockable" -- can you rotate the bulb stem within it's baseplate?

Check out these H4 LED lamps on Headlight Revolution! This is what I've ordered to upgrade my headlight!

They also have a lot of fantastic information regarding LED lighting!

Best wishes on your journeys!

·
Registered
253 Posts
In all vehicles (motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc.), it's a real hit-or-miss experience when dropping LED bulbs into reflectors meant for halogen light. Some have good success and others don't. You can try rotating to the extent possible to see if you have better results. Otherwise, it's just going to be the result of LED lights bouncing around a reflector design not meant for LED light. Some bulbs are better than others and sometimes it just seems like luck.

You can also try a drop-in 7" reflector swap ... something that looks like this:

·
Registered
'06 Speedmaster, Sceptre Pipes, K&N Pods, SAI Delete, TTP Igniter & Coils
58 Posts
@67L48, you should click on the link that I shared above and read the write-up/description on those LED lamps!

I agree with you that it's hit or miss regarding light quality and pattern when converting to LED lamps in whatever light housing is specific to your vehicle - you'll find that the people at Headlight Revolution perform extensive research and comparative testing before they recommend any specific brand or version of LED lamp. I've dealt with them on several previous vehicles I've owned and they've pretty much been spot-on with their research and recommendations! While they may not be specific to motorcycles I believe the newest generation of LED headlight/fog light bulbs that are fully adjustable as far as their clockability within the light housing after they're secured (to place the emitters properly), will allow the end-user to adjust the beam pattern for best results for their particular application.

IMO more information is always a good thing!

Happy travels!

·
Registered
253 Posts
[...] you should click on the link that I shared above and read the write-up/description on those LED lamps! [...] you'll find that the people at Headlight Revolution perform extensive research and [...]
Yep, that's essentially what I meant above when I said, "Some bulbs are better than others." Yours is a much more thorough description of how a bulb might be better than others.

I really do appreciate your insights here. I also really, really, really appreciate the care with which you take to document your modifications, projects, and even your opinions. It's been helpful for me to read and I would expect that many others have benefitted, as well. Cheers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put the Super Bright H4-HLV4-M LED bulb in my 2017 Speedmaster mostly to be seen during the day as I never have riden at night. I guess that I should take a look at the pattern on the road or up against a wall so see if there are blank spots. For day time riding (y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also use this Kisan modulator with it. Kisan pathBlazer Headlight Modualtor: P115W-S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts