Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the kellerman LED flashers and NB's LED flasher relay. However, the signals don't even light up at all. I think I read somewhere that to get them to light up you need to remove the flasher indicator light. Anyone know if this is true?
Thanks for the help... pretty frustrated right now!

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
The flasher instrument panel light will be a problem, but it shouldn't cause all of them to not light up at all.

I'd start by checking the fuses, then re-installing the regular light bulbs and verifying that the new flasher relay works.

·
Registered
152 Posts
LED flashers

Led flashers will not work on the bonnie, even with an Led flasher relay. The problem is with the idiot light in the dashboard. I fitted Led flashers to my bonnie and found that all four lit up at once, I was advised to remove the dash bulb, but that would be a compromise that I didn't want to make. I think suppliers should warn buyers of this problem. I read a post recently from some one who had managed to adapt an Led bulb for the dash but It would be nice to be able to buy a direct replacement unit.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Right, that's the "problem" to which I referred, but MEP7851 hasn't got that far yet.

The information below applies once you get the turn signals working, or at least lighting up.

The gauge panel light problem is this: When one side flashes, the idiot light grounds through the light bulbs on the other side. With bulbs, this is not a problem, because the current is low enough that they don't glow. This is not the case with LEDs.

The solution is a simple rewire of the idiot light to ground with a pair of cheap diodes. This also happens to be the solution to using a polarized (i.e. small) LED in the idiot light.

The link below explains it and includes circuit diagrams showing how to wire in the diodes.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~matt_l/ledlights.htm

Note about the information in the link: You do not need to wire up the idiot light LED with a resistor the way he explains if you buy an LED that is intended to replace an automotive light bulb. Also, the WLEDx6 will not fit in the Bonneville/T100/Thruxton socket without some work.

If you do the diode modification, the green TriPower 3-LED 74-base polarized bulb here is a plug-and-play replacement:

http://superlumination.com/74.htm

This bulb is also a suitable replacement, without further modification, for the other gauge panel lights (while you have it apart). It's much brighter than the stock light bulbs, so don't use it for the high-beam indicator.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. Ends up that the guy who wired my previous flashers when I had my FEK installed used the wrong wire (they put the black and white stripe on the ground). Because of this, I had the flashers wired backwards. Anyways, when I fixed this and removed the dash indicator light, it now works. No indicator light though which kinda sucks.
Jenk's bolts has a set of plug and play LED indicator lights. Anyone used them? I can't tell if they're the non-polorized LEDs which I would need with LED flashers.
Thanks again for all the info-

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
About the Jenks kit, I don't know if that would work for you, I suspect not, because it does not involve re-wiring the turn signal idiot light. And it's expensive.

If you're at all comfortable with wiring and soldering, it would be easy to assemble the diodes and wire them to one idiot light lead, burying the whole thing in some shrink wrap. The other thing you'd have to do is connect a wire and run the other lead to ground, on the frame or to any ground wire you can find.

And as I said before, if you do this, by all means put the brighter LEDs in the turn signal, oil pressure, and neutral lights. You'll be able to see them in sunlight.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Led flashers will not work on the bonnie, even with an Led flasher relay.
That may(?) be true with the Kellermann stuff, but -my- LED indicators work perfectly with -my- LED flasher. I've been running them all Summer long. In fact, I just ran out to the shop floor and checked to see if the stock dash lamp was lighting-up and it was.

/Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
flasher unit

hi there, i just got the led bar end flashers for the kuryakan grips. i havent put them on yet, and i ddidnt even know they where gonna be so much hassle. i reaqd what bella corse said, so i was wondering do i just need to replace my standard flasher unit with and led flahser unit and im sorted, ? any ideas, im a bit confuesed about all this tks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced the standard flasher with a led flasher (I got mine from NB, but bella corse sells them too) and the lights work properly now. I took out the instrument panel idiot light as well. From what bellacorse said, this may not be necessary, but I took the light out before I wired all the flashers up. I have some LED's ordered from superlumination.com (thanks to balto) and plan to rewire only the flasher idiot light with the diodes as described. Seems like a pretty easy fix and according to balto, the leds should be a direct plug and play option. Once I get it all wired up I'll report back.
But the short answer is, I replaced the flasher relay and took out the idiot light and everything works fine now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
LED Indicator warning light problem.

Led flashers will not work on the bonnie, even with an Led flasher relay. The problem is with the idiot light in the dashboard. I fitted Led flashers to my bonnie and found that all four lit up at once, I was advised to remove the dash bulb, but that would be a compromise that I didn't want to make. I think suppliers should warn buyers of this problem. I read a post recently from some one who had managed to adapt an Led bulb for the dash but It would be nice to be able to buy a direct replacement unit.
Use a BA9S LED bulb[metal base bayonette fit].This will allow the warning light to work for both LH and RH indicators. You will need to cut open the rubber boot [lengthways] and solder a 1 inch piece of wire to the body of the bulb and another piece to the base connection of the bulb. Then solder the other ends to the metal clips where the old bulb made contacts. Cut the rubber boot roughly in half [you only need the top wider part]. Put the bulb back in the boot and tape ot up. The boot can then be re-fitted back into the dash. Note the new bulb is bigger than the old one and will need to sit a little lower in the boot than the old one to clear the green lens cover. The light is much brighter than the old one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just in case anyone else is trying this mod... finally got a winning combo figured out-

1. replace LED flasher relay
2. replace flasher idiot light and neutral idiot light with green WLED 6 from www.superbrightleds.com You have to file the base to fit the socket on the bike, but it works pretty easily and they really are super bright!
3. replace the high beam and oil warning lights with base 74 LED bulbs from same source. They're not as bright on the eyes (especially for the high beam)

That's it. no cutting into the factory harness! Thanks again everyone for the help-

·
Registered
98 Posts
still no joy

ive put led indicators on the front and the rear and added a led flasher unit, still no joy, but i took out the idiot light and i now have indicators, but not happy, i want the idiot light back, cause im an idiot and its my light. any way, ive read all the threads on here, and ive decided to order the two green wled6 bulbs and the blue and red 74led bulbs, now i hope when i put these in it will be a straight fix, and no need to wire up resistors to them as i think they have them built in, but heres hoping, this is on a 05 speedy, tks for the help and any ideas, am i going the right way to fixing this problem?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, you're on the right track.
The flasher idiot light has to be nonpolarized. That is why you have to buy the WLED 6 as they are nonpolarized. All of the base 74 leds currently available ARE polarized. My understanding is that the WLED 6's already have the proper resistors built into them. So... DON't cut your harness and wire any resistors in.
Using the LED flasher and WLED6 completely solved my problems and everything functions fine now.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have had two customers who installed four LED blinkers with the LED flasher I sell and all of the winkers flash together or don't work at all.

Moments ago I went and turned on my personal T100 with the same parts and everything works perfectly, including the bone-stock dash indicator lamp.

I'm now thinking I got a bad batch of flasher relays. I mean, the install is extremely simple and straightforward. Really hard to screw-up. So it's got to be the flashers. I'm delaying shipping any more flashers until I get to the bottom of this.

Fortunately I have my own bike here to test parts with. So I'll pursue the bad relay route until I'm convinced that is not the source.

/Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have had two customers who installed four LED blinkers with the LED flasher I sell and all of the winkers flash together or don't work at all.

Moments ago I went and turned on my personal T100 with the same parts and everything works perfectly, including the bone-stock dash indicator lamp.

I'm now thinking I got a bad batch of flasher relays. I mean, the install is extremely simple and straightforward. Really hard to screw-up. So it's got to be the flashers. I'm delaying shipping any more flashers until I get to the bottom of this.

Fortunately I have my own bike here to test parts with. So I'll pursue the bad relay route until I'm convinced that is not the source.

/Mike
What became of this, Mike?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts