Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for the season and picking a pair of all-purpose leather riding pants. Without a place to try on different brands/models, I'm having trouble deciding and looking for your experience and help.

I ride pretty much regardless of air temps, as long as roads are clear and ice-free. Though most riding days are 50s to low 80s. I do long-distance tours for days on end as well short day jaunts. I'm 5'10", 150lbs, and in good shape. And, of course, ride a Thrux. =;-)

Right now, the candidates are:

Alpinestars Bat Leather Sport Pants
Tour Master Cortech Apex Leather Pants
Fieldsheer Sports Leather Pants
Fieldsheer Sport Air Leather Pants

What are your experiences regarding comfort, fit, durability, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for the season and picking a pair of all-purpose leather riding pants. Without a place to try on different brands/models, I'm having trouble deciding and looking for your experience and help.

I ride pretty much regardless of air temps, as long as roads are clear and ice-free. Though most riding days are 50s to low 80s. I do long-distance tours for days on end as well short day jaunts. I'm 5'10", 150lbs, and in good shape. And, of course, ride a Thrux. =;-)

Right now, the candidates are:

Alpinestars Bat Leather Sport Pants
Tour Master Cortech Apex Leather Pants
Fieldsheer Sports Leather Pants
Fieldsheer Sport Air Leather Pants

What are your experiences regarding comfort, fit, durability, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
I've had all manner of riding leathers in my 35 years of riding street bikes. What I can say is at the end of the day purchase the ones that fit the best on you--a cow is a cow. If you ride hard and expect to fall hard, get something with padding and is at least 1.3mil thick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the wisdom Jay - I just wish more brick & mortar places had such pants in stock to try on.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The Triumph site has a sweet pair of riding leather pants...pads and all...I didnt have the coin so I got the summer weight version...I went to my local bike shop and tried on the Joe Rocket gear and ordered mine directly from the Triumph dealer...pants jacket nd gloves all fit great...Plus if you order from the dealer and it doesnt fit...you wouldnt have to pay for the return shipping...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got a Cycle Gear up your way?
I wish. Closest is in CT, just this side of Hartford. I'm in ME.

TIE, that's a good idea to check the local dealer - I tried both here in Maine and just outside of Boston. The selection at each was pretty poor. BTW, bummer about your ped slicer... =:-(

After getting Vansons recommended by several folks over at ADVrider, I picked up a lightly used pair at more than half off the new price.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Yes it does very much...suck...

Heres a link to the Triumph gear...Ask your Triumph shop...they have a seperate Triumph clothing catalog you can take home...http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/clothing.aspx

The armor they use is Knox...

The Leather is what I wanted...but it gets very hot and humid here...plus...I didnt want to sell any of the organs I was trying to save to pay for it...:D

I got the raptor vented stuff so I could get more year long use out of it...although I had to get some underarmor cold gear for the early spring and the late fall...
The Ninja mask...get one...;)

I went to a local Honda dealer first and tried everything on for fit...then rode 50 miles to the Triumph shop to order...shipped fairly quick...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts