Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back into riding after 15 years off (last time ended in an unpleasant accident resulting in a year long recover to be able to walk). I was wearing no protective gear (other than a helmet) at the time and learned my lesson. This time around I don't want to take any chances, but also don't want to be walking around like a hunchback pro racer taking my bonneville on 45mph back roads.

Some of the gear that exists today did not when I rode before and the technology has certainly increased. I was curious peoples experiences with kevlar jeans? Do they really provide meaningful protection? or is leather still the necessity? I am particularly nervous about my knees, but it's normally what you don't expect that gets you. If you guys can post any of your experiences, good or bad, with either of these options I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
From a RiDE magazine test. They dragged them along a rolling road, and timed how long it takes to wear through:

Hein Gericke Reno leather jeans: 4.74 seconds
Draggin' Biker kevlar jeans: 3.07 seconds
Hornee kevlar jeans: 1.39 seconds
Rev'it Sand textile trousers: 0.71 seconds
Levi stonewash 501s: 0.56 seconds
Tesco Cherokee jeans: 0.16 seconds

I was surprised how the Rev'It trousers lasted barely half a second longer than ten quid jeans from Tesco's. I will stick with leather... :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you want kevlar lined jeans the most coverage is from

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

If you want armour there are several choices. You don't have to wear a suit but there are suits that can be taken off at stops, like an Aerostitch.

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html

There are also over-pants if you're already satisfied with your jacket. All these can/should take armour at the knee, hip and tail bone. It just depends on your budget and which is the issue for you, potential injury mitigation or appearance.

I have an Aerostitch but I don't have a car and ride year round to get to work, etc. so for me an Aerostitch was worth it. It takes a lot to trash them even in a crash so I expect to have it for the rest of my life.
I also have a mesh suit (w/ armour) for the hottest times of year. I got it before I knew about Aerostitch and I still like/use it but don't feel as 'protected'.
I've been looking at jeans and none of the other brands seem to have anything like the coverage of the Hood jeans although some of them cost quite a bit more. Can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kevlar jeans all seem to look more like 'mom jeans' Based on the info demonic posted, I think I'm going to stick with the tried and true leather then. It may be awkward sometimes to wear leather pants around, but at least people will know that it's for the purpose of riding a motorcycle and not a style choice.

The aerostich stuff looks like its great for commuting where I'd need to have all normal clothes under it, but I won't be using the bike for that much.

It would be great if they made some diesel quality/style kevlar jeans for those light trips around town when leather is just not feasible.

I may try either the triumph h2sport or the dianese alien leather pants. Anyone have either of those?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The kevlar jeans all seem to look more like 'mom jeans' Based on the info demonic posted, I think I'm going to stick with the tried and true leather then. It may be awkward sometimes to wear leather pants around, but at least people will know that it's for the purpose of riding a motorcycle and not a style choice.

The aerostich stuff looks like its great for commuting where I'd need to have all normal clothes under it, but I won't be using the bike for that much.

It would be great if they made some diesel quality/style kevlar jeans for those light trips around town when leather is just not feasible.

I may try either the triumph h2sport or the dianese alien leather pants. Anyone have either of those?
Not a style choice? Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The kevlar jeans all seem to look more like 'mom jeans'

Did you look at anything by Teknic, Alpinestars, or Icon? They seem to have a modern look to them. I haven't bought any riding pants yet, I'm acquiring items as I can afford them, so I can't speak to their quality.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not being a style choice doesn't mean style isn't important in making the safest choice :) If I can have pants that keep me safe and look like what I would feel comfortable wearing normally ... that's makes sure I never have an excuse not to wear them. The best protection in the world doesn't do you any good if you leave it at home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grath

The alpinestars axiom jeans look alright, but I don't think they offer a lot of protection.

The leathers probably protect well and would fit alright so they are in consideration, but look a bit too racetrack for me and the bonneville though.

Icons seem a bit too baggy. I'm a pretty lean guy, so anything baggy will float on me and flap around.

I've not checked out teknic yet.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The kevlar jeans all seem to look more like 'mom jeans'
I've been tempted by the Draggin' Jeans, but like you said, they don't look very good. They are always TOO blue. And they have seams in all the wrong places. "Mom Jeans" is a great way to describe them, but I can't follow that link as I'm on the wrong continent...

Style comes third to safety and comfort, but it's still there in third. And so I'd rather wear leathers that are up in safety, and WAY up in style, if that means sacrificing a little comfort. Saying that, my leathers are supremely comfortable. :)

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
If you want kevlar lined jeans the most coverage is from

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

Actually it is Hood's sister company Kyrano, who offers the most coverage in their Kyrano G8 Motorcycle Jean. I like the Hood Jeans, and own a couple pairs, but they don't offer the coverage of the G8 and use Knox armor instead of the more comfortable D30.
http://www.kyrano-uk.com/acatalog/g8-motorcycle-jeans-mens.html

Of course you pay for the difference between the Hood and the Kyrano to the tune of ₤100

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not being a style choice doesn't mean style isn't important in making the safest choice :) If I can have pants that keep me safe and look like what I would feel comfortable wearing normally ... that's makes sure I never have an excuse not to wear them. The best protection in the world doesn't do you any good if you leave it at home.
Sorry, I was a bit confused. I don't get the 'mom jean' reference when I look at the Hoods. You're absolutely right about protection. Like condoms, it only works if you wear it.

Actually it is Hood's sister company Kyrano, who offers the most coverage in their Kyrano G8 Motorcycle Jean. I like the Hood Jeans, and own a couple pairs, but they don't offer the coverage of the G8 and use Knox armor instead of the more comfortable D30.
http://www.kyrano-uk.com/acatalog/g8-motorcycle-jeans-mens.html

Of course you pay for the difference between the Hood and the Kyrano to the tune of ₤100
Thanks, I hadn't looked at the Kyranos yet and I admit the price put me off but I'll look again. Can the armour be changed out?

The Hood jeans coverage is to mid-shin in the front, knees in the back and the fabric goes all the way to the side seams. I thought that was very good for the price after seeing the coverage in the others. Other companies charge as much or more and their jeans often barely cover from the waist to the top of the thighs, sometimes not even the crotch. Two separate pieces of the kevlar fabric, one for each butt cheek, connected only by being stitched to the jeans fabric which will shred away didn't seem like protection to me.

Since you have more than one pair I'm guessing you like them. Any fitment issues? Care issues?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I looked at a whole slew of different leather riding pants recently, and decided on the Rev'it Gear2 hybrid pants. Tight mesh for coolth, good knee armor, and still have leather in all the impact zones. I haven't been disappointed with them, excellent pants.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
I've been tempted by kevlar jeans, but I think I'll stick with leather. I also heard that in case of a crash, textiles can cause you to tumble where leather ables you to slide. Fortunately, I don't know how much truth there is to that.

My leather consists of a Vanson Comet, Schott Perfecto and langlitz western jeans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. I think I'm going to go with the triumph leathers. I'll have to order them and take a guess on sizing it seems though... Such poor selection at the shops in ct.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
570 Posts
please take a look at the post I made here and just updated after 6 months riding experience with kevlar underpants from draggin jeans (k-legs) in combination with knox knee protectors. I think they offer superior protection when you put them head to head with normal draggin jeans (because they are double layer thick kevlar full length).

They will never be as good as leather pants, but I'm pretty sure they will take a good second place after that in terms of protection. And they are definitely first place for me in terms of functionality.

For lots more info see my review here (last post is 6 months update): http://www.triumphrat.net/gear-and-...egs-and-knox-knee-protectors.html#post2385982

·
Registered
25 Posts
Of course you need to get something you are comfortable in and actually like, those dayglo leathers might have been a good idea but if all they do is hang in the closet they are not going to provide protection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts