Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the 71 bonny for 3 weeks now an dset to register it.
Today I filled it up (13 litres from reserve) for the first time. A bit splashed out of the filler cap so I assumed 13 litres was a bit much and plan to order a new seal.

Half an hour after parking at home there's petrol everywhere and a puddle underneath.

It is definitely not coming from the cap or the petcocks, but from under the tank somewhere.

questions....

does anyone know where in Melbourne, Australia I can get a tank fixed quickly (booked in for a rego inspection in 6 days)?

Does anyone have a OIF tank for sale rent or loan? I want to repaint mine anyway, so a spare would allow that.

Any regular spots that tend to split?

on the iof tanks on ebay they seem to have fixings near the front on the underside. Mine doesn't. Is that a 71 quirk?

cheers
derek

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey mate,

Go to this website and get the motorbike tank sealer kit. http://www.ppc.au.com/
I have sealed 3 1971 OIF tanks along with a couple of fibreglass commando tanks...you just dont use the metal ready (rust convertor) on the glass tanks. Any pinhole leaks etc will seal up like new and ready for the crappy fuels of today. I had unleaded fuel eat throught my clear-coat on my norton tank from a spill.

The only problem with the kit is it takes 96hours for the sealer to cure. The company is in Sydney too which may be an issue shipping it down to Melb since tomorrow will be friday and you wont get it till monday. Maybe you can call them and see if anyone in melb stocks it??

I would maybe pull the tank off the bike,...let it dry out and then only put a little bit of fuel back in to see if its going to leak. The take it for the inspection and hope for the best.

You should seal the tank though.

Good Luck

·
Registered
518 Posts
and...when you do repaint, keep the gas off the tank as much as possible, it will eat quickley...when i fill up , i never fill all the way, and i have the fuel nozzle in one hand and one of those windshield paper towels in the other, they are common in the states, a squeege with a container of windshield fluid and paper towels right at the pump....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well upon inspection, the leak is in the seam in the 'tube' that the fixing bolt goes through.
I would assume that this would not be uncommon as the vibrations must put a bit of strain on that seam.
I will get all new rubbers and make sure it is mounted correctly befor soldering it. Meanwhile I will only put 1.5 gallons in at a time.

Another thing I found was the fixing bolt has been brazed in place. Don't know if that affects anything.
cheers
derel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts