Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go insane. I read a tech bulletin that the float bowl needs to be heated with a torch and the float valve seat tapped upward. Anyone ever try this? It might work for a new one. My seat ain't going anywhere. I also read to punch the hinge supports. It helped for a few miles. I have a new needle valve (rubber-tipped) and a non-leaking float. I keep getting the drips, and don't know what to do :(

It's ironic that I have a motor that I was able to cure all the oil leaks.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Clean and dry everything, then re-assemble and stand at the ready with a spray can of Arrid extra-dry deodorant spray.

Spray the carb with the can, then turn on the petrol tap. Turn the tap off as soon as you see the slightest moisture appear.

THAT is the area to work on first. I'll bet nickles to nuts (I can't afford dollars and doughnuts) that it's a worn out fiber washer or bowl gasket that won't seal right till you rework the mating faces back to square and flush.

·
Registered
744 Posts
float valve

Probably dont have anything to do with your problem, but, the old XS650 yamahas with Kehin carbs had a screw in needle valve seat, ther was a little known o ring on the seat. it would get hard with age and leak. didnt need to get a new one, just replave the tiny o ring. there was a little bracket with a screw that held the seat in.
cliff

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I assume you are trying to adjust the float level. Top of float should be .080" below front edge of bowl when pushing down on plastic tangs not needle. Don't use a torch. Dunk the bowl in boiling water or use a hair dryer and use a brass rod as a drift. Have you checked to see if the top of the float bowl is flat. Use a piece of sand paper glued to a piece of glass and knock off any irregularities. Also the banjo fitting at the base may need a new gasket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies. The gaskets are not leaking (bowl or banjo) They were replaced too. The leak is coming from the air cleaner.(vent tube into air cleaner) I think the seat is pitted/worn out. I will try to polish it with a q-tip, some polish, and a drill. Has anyone successfully moved the seat? It's eaiser said than done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably dont have anything to do with your problem, but, the old XS650 yamahas with Kehin carbs had a screw in needle valve seat, ther was a little known o ring on the seat. it would get hard with age and leak. didnt need to get a new one, just replave the tiny o ring. there was a little bracket with a screw that held the seat in.
cliff
Thanks, but the seat is hard-pressed into the float bowl. No screws. No o-rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts