Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am currently bewildered as to why a few of my engine covers still refuse to stop leaking after i have tried everything imaginable...anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have not tried this myself, but assuming you have a new gasket, I would try a non-setting sealant first such as blue hylomar or ezturn. The former may be easier to find as permatex has started branding it in the US.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the right hand crank cover, sprocket cover and clutch cover... ive been tightening to the torque settings in the haynes manual but there is still a little leak , mostly on the bottom of the covers but i believe that might have something to do with gravity.. tried hylomar and rtv sealant and they were both hit or miss

·
Registered
826 Posts
put some fine grade sandpaper on a peice of glass, and rub the mating surfaces of your covers in circular motions on the sandpaper.this will remove any small defects that might be preventing it sealing.
also replace the oil seal on the sprocket cover

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its definately not the gearshaft oil seal as i just replaced that as it was leaking lol...daytona, what grit # of sand paper would you recommend? or will any fine sandpaper work? thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
you want a grade that is gonna leave it nice and smooth, ie no scores or gowges(i appologise for spelling, im having a thick moment....it doesnt matter how i try and spell it, it doesnt look right!)

use a copper coin on the engine side to clean off anything that shouldnt be there, sit it flat on the casing and rub gently

1 - 8 of 8 Posts