Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a fuel leak at the petcock since November and I noticed an oil leak coming from the cam cover gasket today. This particular Scrambler was bought new from a dealer in September of 2008... I just want to ride, not keep bringing it in to be fixed.

Am I being picky? Are these "normal" occurances that everyone is dealing with?

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
The leak from the cam cover gasket is certainly common, if not "normal", and will certainly be fixed by the dealer under warranty. It can be installed so it is "leakproof", but they seem to have a hard time getting it that way at the factory.

The petcock leak is less common, but the dealer should take care of it.

·
29,948 Posts
Give your dealer plenty of crap. A leaky cam cover gasket is annoying enough, but a leaky petcock falls into the "safety hazard" category. Get on them, I'm sure they will see you right.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I had a little cam cover leak on my first '07 Bonneville - nothing on my second, and neither petcock gave me any grief. Yeah, let the dealer straighten it out, as mine did with the cam cover.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I;m actually on my fourth petcock in 14 months. Mine never leaked, just wouldn't turn. I think I got a run of crap ones. This last one seams to be a good one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel your pain...I'm on my 4th oil leak in 11 months...It's almost getting to the point I'm afraid to rider her.... My warranty ends in May....havent figured out what to do about it yet...

·
Registered
251 Posts
the cam cover leak is minor. i had the same problem, and just removed the cover and cleaned the gasket really well and put it back together. no leaks since then.

good luck on the leaky petcock!

nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
As stated the cam cover leak is easy to fix on your own, but it is persistent, especially on the left side. I have replaced the gasket and sealed with permatex silver (high heat), but still get some leakage from that side. Make sure the bolts are torqued properly. Too tight and youll pinch the gasket, too loose and ...you got it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One source of a leak so far

The only place I've seen oil escaping was at the fitting on top of the oil cooler.
Re-torquing the fitting (twice in 1400 miles) has (so far) resolved the problem.
I suppose that eventually, the crush washers will need to be replaced.
Maybe I'm expecting too much (I don't think so!), but I will NOT tolerate oil leaks on this, or any other modern bike.
Though I bought it, the T100 is on a 1 year "trial residence" at my place. If after that amount of time it is giving adequate service with full reliability, it earns a 2nd year.
If not, a new Road King will be sitting where the T100 now resides.
Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good post. I was shocked at the leaking from my '08 T100. I owned Triumphs in the 70's and kind of expected it, but now? It's disheartening to look down every couple of months and see oil leaking from the cam cover on a modern bike.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Solution

Hey Skidplate,
Send me your address, I'll give you a date to leave the bike out and the insurance will buy you a new one without leaks....hahahahahahaha......just call "Uncle Bill's lemon removal service" and you'll never suffer again!!!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No thanks!

Leaking or not, she's mine and I'll fight to keep her. I'm bringing her in so the dealer can tell me he doesn't see any leaks and waste more of my time... I might sound a little negative. but I didn't start out that way. My first '06 Scrambler (got smooshed when I was knocked over by a truck riding here in NYC - he proceeded to run up over the back wheel) developed a loud clicking sound in the front wheel hub (way before the accident) and the speedo needle was jittery. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they said they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I took it to a local garage - mechanic heard it, pulled the front wheel and showed me that the flange that turns the speedo was bent/stripped away. I put the dealer on with the mechanic and brought it back to the dealer and started the waiting process...

I ride every day (yes, all year round) and I don't like being without my bike. I hate the subways, don't own a car, and I guess I have no choice here. The responsible thing is to have every little problem addressed. The bike smelled like a bucket of gasoline yesterday and I've been getting nervous every time I see a lit cigarette flicked out a car window ahead of me.

Whatever, right?! I'll suck it up and deal. It's a machine - and will need a little unscheduled maintenance from time to time. Just bumms me out is all...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good post. I was shocked at the leaking from my '08 T100. I owned Triumphs in the 70's and kind of expected it, but now? It's disheartening to look down every couple of months and see oil leaking from the cam cover on a modern bike.
YIKES!

How many miles on your sweet Bonnie?

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
You might try replacing the seals under the cam cover bolts the next time you work on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might try replacing the seals under the cam cover bolts the next time you work on it.
Those are dry, no oil. It's definately coming from the left side of the cam cover. Those bolts seem to need tightening regularly. Might see it I can find some kind of lock washer to use.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
According a member (Mikeinva) who has done more work with these engines than I ever will, the bolt seals provide some of the tension for the cam cover. When they become compressed, the gasket seal can be compromised, because the bolts bottom out.

Tightening the bolts past the 10NM torque specification is not recommended because it does nothing except risk stripping the threads, and several people on this board have done exactly that.

I have no experience with this, but I have a spare set of seals in case the cam cover gasket starts leaking after I do the valve check/adjustment this spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No leaks yet, although I'm sure the cam cover leak is in my future. I've had various Triumph motorcycles and cars for 30 years or so, and their self-lubricating nature was just part of being in the club. I am a little disappointed that the tradition continues (but less so) with this otherwise superior motorcycle.

If you use oil with ricin in it, it just makes it easier to enjoy that "Old Timey Racing Smell". On your sidecovers, boots, pants, etc.

Anything I've ever resealed with Yamabond (on motrcycles, cars or boats) never leaked again. Something to think about. You're not really supposed to use it on aircraft, or I'd use it there, too.

My petcock doesn't leak, but it IS hard to turn. Since it's still winter, it may be a good time to get it under warranty . . . . .

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
retro fun

Just passing some thought about leaks and such, correct me if i"m wrong but having owned several bonnevilles, leaks were just part of the deal, you always had a little puddle underneath somewhere and just kind of lived with that.
Which also brings to mind that perhaps New Bonneville or Bella Corse could put together a "retro leak package" for newer bikes so that they were more realistic.
I've seen those little plastic puddles which simulate an actual leak, I think Whitney has em, but wouldn't it be fun to finish dressing your brand new Triumph with appropriate leaks?
The kit could contain a non-toxic simulated oil (safe for kids and pets), templates for oil drip puddles, epoxy mixes for those dribbles down the primary cover and off the valve rocker covers and even a small packet of metal shavings to sprinkle in the oil pool to spark interest there.
I would imagine there might be some value in terms of theft prevention, heck, what thief would steal a bike with a big oil puddle underneath?
It's kinda like those fake bullet hole decals you can get in the bike shops.....
koi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts