Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Not new, but forgotten all details of previous login name etc. Blame it on age. Anyway I have a minor problem with my 95 Speed Triple. It's been parked up for a while only receiving occasional use, due to new pink/noisy arrival in house. I moved it a few weeks ago in the garage and it was left pointing slightly downhill, so I put it in gear and left it on the sidestand. After a few days, a small stain appeared under the bike, left (gear) side. It didn't smell like petrol, and it isn't oil, but I closed the fuel tap anyway (pointing the petcock backwards is off, right?) I moved it back a bit so it didn't have to be in gear, so now it's in neutral, sitting there, and the drip continues but much reduced.
I've had a read around and seen that it could be the water pump seal. The fluid might be coolant, it might be hydraulic fluid, not sure. Because I left it in gear I wondered whether that was doing something to cause the clutch fluid to leak.
Anyway, is there a specific location which might help identify the source? The underside of the left hand engine case is wet, and is dripping from there, but that might just be because of the sidestand.
Any suggestions? I had a look under the engine for a source/route of the liquid but couldn't see anything obvious.
Help appreciated. Going to chanrge up the battery and take it for a spin to see if things deteriorate or indeed improve (I'm an optimist). Until I moved the bike nose down it was bone dry for months.

Thanks and happy tripling...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Since the fuel petcock is vacuum, there is no "off" position of the knob. When the engine stops running, no longer providing vacuum, the valve is supposed to close. Exceptions to this are: 1. Turning the knob to the PRIME position. PRIME forces the valve open overriding the vacuum safety feature. PRIME is UP. 2. Sometimes the internals of the valve stick and won't close. Mine does this regularly.

You're really going to have to identify the fluid if we're going to be of much help here. Popular sources of leaks are the gear shift selector shaft seal, water pumps, clutch slave cylinders, sometimes the corners of the air box.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the petcock info, it's good to know I don't need to turn it off. I've had a look with a Harley friend (and he knows about leaks:) and we both reckon it's gear oil. Clear, odorless, but kinda greasy. It is collecting on the bottom of the left side upper circular engine cover with the Triumph logo. Since I took it out of gear and took the forwards pressure off it, it has improved. I've just given it a wipe and moved the bike again, to see if it's still leaking. I presume being in gear and pointing downhill a little was in some way forcing the oil out of this cover. Maybe I can tighten up the few bolts a bit..?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
If it's clear/greasy it might be coolant. The hoses to the radiator all connect to that side of the engine at the water pump and radiator. Check that all your hose clamps are tight.
If it were oil I think it would not be clear but dirty brown or black. The water pump is also suspect because of the age of your bike. The seals on mine gave out a couple years ago. Fortunately I'd picked up a spare off eBay just in case. The other possibility is the clutch slave cylinder could be leaking, also clear greasy fluid. Is your clutch working properly? If the slave cylinder is at fault you'll have no clutch in a hurry due to air getting in the line.

dc

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Coolant..clear greasy then gets sticky tacky on your fingers
Oil...smells of oil may be dirty, abviously greasy
Clutch fluid...clear greasy, still smells like faint wiffy old socks that may have been singed !

All I can think of is if facing down and leaning left is maybe a small leak from the front L/H side of the cam cover...sometimes after a valve check sealant can not be applied too well moving the bike nose down will help residual oil well in the front L/H corner of the head, this may be deep enough to submerge the cam cover joint and seap, you would also get some misting seaping when the bike was running of course.

It can leak above the exhaust pipe headers and run along the front of the engine before ending up on the cover you mentioned too ;-)

Good luck with it.....oh and ride the bloomin thing too !!!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dc, the clutch was working fine last time I rode it (3 months ago), where is the slave cylinder? My first thought was the hydraulic clutch fluid, because of the problem first appearing with the bike sitting in gear, but never had an issue with the other bikes stored there. The issue with the water pump seemed widespread so I started wondering about that too, but that would't be greasy on the fingers though, would it? There's no wetness around any hoses or the rad, and I presume the coolant is coloured...?
Thanks again. Narrowing it down in my mind before I attack it.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, so I've just worked out that it's the clutch cover where the leak is, and the clear greasy fluid could as I thought be hydraulic fluid, and this was tied to the new in gear situation. So I'll have a read up on how to tighten this area up and maybe do some bleeding, with my handy vacuum tool. Thanks for talking me through it until my brain kicked in.

and Mottley missed your post before, but I plan to ride alot more again after winter. The missus rides too and is itching to get back out there. have lined up a 900 trident to attach a sidecar to for the little one. Until then, it's workshop tidy time and leak fiddling until the first signs of spring.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ng down and leaning left is maybe a small leak from the front L/H side of the cam cover...sometimes after a valve check sealant can not be applied too well moving the bike nose down will help residual oil well in the front L/H corner of the head, this may be deep enough to submerge the cam cover joint and seap, you would also get some misting seaping when the bike was running of course.

It can leak above the exhaust pipe headers and run along the front of the engine before ending up on the cover you mentioned too ;-)
by jove mottley i went and checked again after seeing your cam cover seep suggestion and there WAS a small seep line running off that corner and back behind the cover... the oil is pretty new (only 3000km since last change) so maybe it hasn't taken on that lovely treacle look yet. time will tell. on level ground it ain't leaking anymore. will charge up this week and go for a spin if weather play ball this weekend. thanks to to you and dc again.
ps: your t3 has an ugly twin sister with a leaky something in switzerland.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi all,
<snip> due to new pink/noisy arrival in house. I moved it a few weeks ago in the garage and it was left pointing slightly downhill, <snip>
Well, I'm glad that didn't lead where I first thought it was... :)

Sounds like you got it sorted out. My only other thought would be to put some clean white paper down to catch the drips and get a better read on the color... that and the smell test.

Good luck with the noisy pink thing. Mine's graduating from college this weekend. woo-hoo, a pay raise for me!

·
Registered
826 Posts
being in gear wouldnt have caused a leaky clutch slave cylinder, as the hydraulic side of it is under the same sorts of pressures whether it is in gear or not.
i would expect the clutch fluid to look the colour of golden syrup(but not the same viscosity)
i vote for the peice of paper underr the bike trick to see whats where!
good luck, and hope you get it sorted soon!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks LRH and d750, murphy's law applies now and the drip has stopped after wiping and levelling. Whilst prodding about though I noticed that it might be worth having a proper clean and a ride to see exactly where things are less than dry, I guess they don't like sitting... But snow today and for the rest of the week doesn't make it very likely that I'll be going anywhere for a while.

...and LongRoadHome, just checked out your website - really nice, you have some great countryside for trips down your way. But how on earth did you find a more than ten year old bike with so few miles on it???? Glad to see you are rectifying that.
As for the new arrival, I suppose I have at least 18 years of worry, expense and pain ahead of me. But even after 6 months of it so far, I've realised it'll be worth every moment to see that little critter smile in the morning. Good health to you and yours.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ended up flushing my clutch system multiple times and tearing down both ends. The slave had something that looked like naval jelly and I ended up putting a master cylinder kit in it because of bleed by. Fortunately, just bleeding the front and rear brakes good solved the mucky looking fluid issue.

The bike's been a blast. Just a lucky moment in time. I need to update the site. Got lots more trips to share and mods. Just turned 20K a few weeks back.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update: I took some time to clean and sort out the old girl over the xmas holidays, investigating the source of the previous leak further. It turned out to be a mix of a bit of oil leaking from the cover gasket from being pointed downhill and a coolant leak from behind the shroud covering the rad/head tube. One of the jubilee clips was loose (I presume both are supposed to be attached to head end of that fat tube). The coolant was running down a very similar path to the tiny oil seep. It's now been a few days without any further stains on the garage floor. I left this shroud and the two rad side shrouds off, for an even more naked look and to see if the coolant pooling at the base of the tube ceased. It has. Hope this is of use to someone. No idea why 1) Two jubilee clips are necessary and 2) Why/how the second one worked loose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts