Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time I was getting a TINY bit of oil on my fins, concluded after checking in with this forum that I was suffering from a case of the common but not fatal, Leaky Camcoveritus.
Got a new gasket, cleaned the surfaces, replaced two (that's all my shop had in stock and only one side leaked anyway) bolt washers, tightened each bolt a little at a time, got everything snug and what do I have? You guessed it, a LOT of oil on my fins!
Sometimes I wonder what's it's all about..,

·
Registered
915 Posts
No, it will work fine. Alos, make sure your leak isn't coming from the rubber washers around the bolts that hold the cam cover on.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you put new rubber washers i bet it wont leak.The washers are all that hold the cover down ,they get smushed and you dont get the cover tight. the cover bolts have shoulders on them that bottom out on the head when there tight.If the washers are to thin it will leak.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it's gushing oil good I'd check to be certain that they gasket did not come unseated during assembly. The new gasket tends to fall out pretty easily during installation.

I'm not much of a fan when it comes to RTV. If you have a good gasket you should not need that stuff for anything your bike.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
If it's gushing oil good I'd check to be certain that they gasket did not come unseated during assembly. The new gasket tends to fall out pretty easily during installation.

I'm not much of a fan when it comes to RTV. If you have a good gasket you should not need that stuff for anything your bike.
Whoa there cowboy,

I wouldn't go that far dude. TWICE I had my silencers changed by the dealer with nothing on them.

TWICE they leaked exhaust, until I removed them and used PERMATEX GASKET SEALER-PRESTO MAGIC!, no more leaks!

You are surely waay more of a motorhead than I, when it comes to these bikes. But don't influence people where they may have to do work twice to get it right.

It is good stuff and, has it's application. I wouldn't goop it all over the bike but, it HAS a clear application.:)

A good rule of thumb for those who are watching... If the manual says to use an item or, to replace it when servicing...(and you should buy a shop manual if you are goin' to dink around with your bike at all) then DO IT!

Unless you feel lucky...WELL DO YA _____?GRIN

·
Registered
399 Posts
LOL....

Notice I said...."if you have a good gasket....

That is not an application that even has a gasket!

But to be honest - you can squirt in your gas tank and all over your tires if that's what floats your boat!

My bike will remain RTV and LEAK free without it!

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
You definitely have an attitude guy. You are never wrong in your mind.:rolleyes: Look at your quote, you would never use that stuff for anything on your bike. Well ok for you but, you are wrong.

Where is there a gasket on the silencer to header pipe connection without RTV? "you should not need that stuff for ANYTHING ON YOUR BIKE"?????

·
Registered
399 Posts
How are you going to poke at me calling me "cowboy", and "guy", then tell me I have an attitude?

You're right - someone on this thread has one. You start this crap by with your gay little nicknames - you don't even know me.

I don't like RTV.....SO WHAT?

It's freaking opinion....now go cry yourself to sleep, BOY!

And FWIW - I have no RTV on my silencer to header connection - and it doesn't leak either!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you put new rubber washers i bet it wont leak.The washers are all that hold the cover down ,they get smushed and you dont get the cover tight. the cover bolts have shoulders on them that bottom out on the head when there tight.If the washers are to thin it will leak.
A+, That's what I do, replace the grommets...Works for me...

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
How are you going to poke at me calling me "cowboy", and "guy", then tell me I have an attitude?

You're right - someone on this thread has one. You start this crap by with your gay little nicknames - you don't even know me.

I don't like RTV.....SO WHAT?

It's freaking opinion....now go cry yourself to sleep, BOY!

And FWIW - I have no RTV on my silencer to header connection - and it doesn't leak either!
No problem here. You are waay more experienced than I in these bikes. I have acknowledged that.

I sincerely apologize if I offended you or anyone else who has read this thread.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
hey everyone knows i am the biggest ass on here lol.We going to fight ,drink or ride lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts