Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting oil on the right side cylinder head fins. It appears there may be a leak from the valve cover gasket, though I can't tell for sure. Would this still be a warranty issue on an 07? My dealer is closed till Monday. Any other ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
As likely reason as any - fairly common too. I had one after a valve check. Removed cam cover, put a thin smear of RTV black form-a-gasket on the gasket, replaced, no more leak.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I put the sealant just between the top of the gasket and the bottom of the valve cover, or do both top and bottom of the gasket? If I had to guess, I'd say it appears to be leaking from between the bottom of the gasket and the top of the head. Thanks

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I left the gasket on the cover, as it seems to be held there quite nicely. So, that means the gasket stuff went on the gasket that mates with the cylinder head. I let it sit over night after I reinstalled the cover before running the engine.
Also, when I put the cover back on, I tied the throttle cables up out of the way a bit so I could get the cover back on without dragging it on the cams, gears, etc.
Careful with those bolts that you do not tighten too much and strip the threaded hole - hear it is a bit(h to repair. I didn't torque them [no 1/4 inch drive wrench] must use a common sense amount of tightening - they definitely don't need to be cranked down hard.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I left the gasket on the cover, as it seems to be held there quite nicely. So, that means the gasket stuff went on the gasket that mates with the cylinder head. I let it sit over night after I reinstalled the cover before running the engine.
Also, when I put the cover back on, I tied the throttle cables up out of the way a bit so I could get the cover back on without dragging it on the cams, gears, etc.
Careful with those bolts that you do not tighten too much and strip the threaded hole - hear it is a bit(h to repair. I didn't torque them [no i/4 inch drive wrence] must use a common sense amount of tightening - they definitely don't need to be cranked down hard.
Torque- 10 nm IAW Haynes Manual. When in doubt, use a torque wrench. Major league PITA if you break it.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Or have the dealer fix it under warranty. It's probably the most common warranty issue on these bikes, and easily fixed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Or have the dealer fix it under warranty. It's probably the most common warranty issue on these bikes, and easily fixed.
This is what I'll be doing next week as mine just started leaking too but I am also taking the opportunity to have the cam cover replaced with a nice shiny one :D Since I'm having the dealer take care of it it'll be a free install on the new cam cover.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Make sure you get new bolt gaskets (the rubber/metal combo gasket for the 4 bolts on the top of the cam cover) when you put the new cam cover on. The 4 bolt gaskets are usually the culprit whenever one has a cam cover leak from the cam cover gasket. The 4 bolts are "shoulder" bolts; therefore, they will only tighten so much regardless of the torque (One good reason NOT to over-torque them). After time the bolt gaskets will become flattened and tightening the bolts does NOT put the required pressure on the cam cover gasket--result: cam cover gasket leaks. Fix: install new cam cover bolt gaskets any time the cam cover is removed. The cam cover gasket will last many removals and installs as long as it is not damaged--usually occurs by improper removal of cam cover. The proper way to loosen the cam cover for removal is to use a rubber mallet to "break loose" the cam cover--it may take a pretty hefty blow to loosen it (mine sure did).:D

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This is what I'll be doing next week as mine just started leaking too but I am also taking the opportunity to have the cam cover replaced with a nice shiny one :D Since I'm having the dealer take care of it it'll be a free install on the new cam cover.
Glad he is doing it free of charge, this is such a common issue any mechanic worth his salt should be beyond letting this happen by now. Hope you like your new shiny cover :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts