Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to brand new isolated stretch of pavement in a very rural subdivision near my house; it's a year away from having ground broke on new homes due to economy. Disclaimer: I know safety and common sense and public perception requires all forms of excessive acceleration should take place on a track. Hopefully I don't wad myself up here cuz no one would see or hear me. It's that isolated, like an oasis of black pave'!

Anywho, the pavement is tacky beyond belief and I'm practicing launching my S3. Away from cars and dogs and cops and all that. I'm not 100% there, yet, but so far I can get goooood launches at around 3500 to 4000 rpm. Nice clutch release, body positioning. Front wheel hovering above the ground a few inches. Launches so hard I have to quickly get my legs back on the peggs to shift, my head actually gets light from the blood being shoved back. Too hard and I could pass out. Kidding!

Without flipping it over backward (clutch finger at the ready, chin over the Magura) I'm wondering what happens at 4500 to 5000 rpm launch?? I truly believe for up to 2 or 3 blocks I am the quickest on my S3 vs my R1 and big fat torque VMax....although the VMax with perfect traction may be the nastiest launching bike ever!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find the launches on my S3 tend to make my head spin a little bit. The bike is pretty damn fast and it get definitely get moving faster than my mind can process, sometimes.

I find it is a much better drug than any pill I've ever taken and a lot more scary.

I don't think I've really looked at the tach when I launch, I'll see how it is next time I do.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will tell you NOT to launch it at 5000rpm....as I did this morning. The combination of my weight, seat position, pavement traction, etc., EQUALS a fricking straight up wheelie. I'm talkin' a 5mph ain't goin' nowhere on the backwheel job. Of course my finger was nowhere near the clutch and my foot nowhere near the rear brake to save any disaster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
go to a drag strip and youll see the numbers.my best so far is
rt 0.54
60ft 1.898
1/4 ml 118.7mph
et11.307
best top speed 1/4ml was123.3mph
i give it full throttle of the line and change up at the red line.
im 10stone and the bike has low arrow b&c filter sai removed and new tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts