Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
30,527 Posts
Pretty nice! Any way you can get your a/f line flatter? :D

The benefit of a good tuning tool I guess!

Those look like some good numbers to me - very nice curves too. Good stuff! Anything else going on there? Cams or anything? Headwork?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Cool!
When I get enough dead presidents I will dino mine...
A/F and RWH...
Must know!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
MIKE have you got a pic of those pipes on your bike dont think I have every seen them before.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Excellent results Mike!!

Good numbers, certainly makes all the work worthwhile.

V.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MIKE have you got a pic of those pipes on your bike dont think I have every seen them before.
Yes you have Mike, they are the original 17" reverse cone megaton silencers that D&D copied.

They have been made by the same company in England for over forty years. I first started using them in the seventies, they were awesome then and they are awesome now. Very few things in life are timeless, but these original Brit iron silencers certainly are.:cool:

·
30,527 Posts
Then you have done a phenomenal job Mike, no two ways about it. Absolutely first class!

·
Registered
630 Posts
790 Bonnie, DNA pods, Megaton silencers and igniter remap on an otherwise bog standard engine and producing better than 70RWHP?? 165 mains and one of the best A/F graphs I've seen posted here?? Do you have a freak engine there or have you discovered something you're not telling us.:eek:

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
790 Bonnie, DNA pods, Megaton silencers and igniter remap on an otherwise bog standard engine and producing better than 70RWHP?? 165 mains and one of the best A/F graphs I've seen posted here?? Do you have a freak engine there or have you discovered something you're not telling us.:eek:
No freak engine, just 8 months of testing every which way. The only way this engine may be different is because it hits the limiter each time I go out on her. When datalogging and carrying out dyno's, I run WOT to the limiter each time, also ride her like I stole her when not testing. These engines are excellent, as time goes on I'm convinced Triumph built the twins with a large reliability margin, my bike has been revved to at least 8,500rpm every time I go out for the last six months and she just gets better with every mod.

Here is a combined dyno of the 790 development with inlet and exhaust mods only, I have reached my goal. Next is internal engine mods.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No freak engine, just 8 months of testing every which way...........Here is a combined dyno of the 790 development with inlet and exhaust mods only, I have reached my goal. Next is internal engine mods.
Very useful chart that, at what point on the chart did you lose the TOR's and at what point did you lose the airbox?

Congratulations on a fine effort by the way, I admire your skill and persistence.

·
Registered
630 Posts
TORS dumped after number 3 and airbox dumped after number 6. The with and without baffle in 5 & 6 is the airbox baffle. And number 6 is about 67bhp, not 68.5bhp due to a little blip at the end.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions it is much appreciated. I have one more for you, did you use an A/F meter in the process of tuning your bike or was it all done on a dyno?

One of your modded ignitors is on my must have list by the way. ;)

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions it is much appreciated. I have one more for you, did you use an A/F meter in the process of tuning your bike or was it all done on a dyno?

One of your modded ignitors is on my must have list by the way. ;)
I use AFR data logging to tune and a dyno when the tune is good, using a dyno exclusively would be far too expensive.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Your combined traces make for some very interesting reading Mike!

It would seem that of the 17hp you've gained over stock, 15 of these were gained with the airbox still in place!
Equating to only a 2hp gain when fitting an ARK?
Am I right in assuming that the "baffle" which is referred to is the airbox restrictor plate? and not an exhaust baffle?
Also,
Your peak torque reading (at 4500rpm) actually decreased following the airbox removal and fitting of pods.

Another Q.... Were all the runs from 4 - 8 carried out with the same igniter maps, or did you do some "tweeking" in between??

All very interesting and an excellent indication of cause and effect of gains due to mods as they are undertaken.

Well done!!

V.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your combined traces make for some very interesting reading Mike!

It would seem that of the 17hp you've gained over stock, 15 of these were gained with the airbox still in place!
Equating to only a 2hp gain when fitting an ARK?
Am I right in assuming that the "baffle" which is referred to is the airbox restrictor plate? and not an exhaust baffle?
Also,
Your peak torque reading (at 4500rpm) actually decreased following the airbox removal and fitting of pods.

All very interesting and an excellent indication of cause and effect of gains due to mods as they are undertaken.

Well done!!

V.
Yes, I don't think the airbox is a terrific restriction, my complete airbox will be going back on again shortly for some more testing, I'm pretty sure there is a little more to be had. The referred to baffle, is the airbox baffle.

If the airbox could flow better above 4,500rpm it may be comparable or better than pods, but the dynos show it is after this point that the pods begin to pull away from the airbox and losing that extra 1ftlb of torque is worth it to gain further up the revs. It would be interesting to compare a dyno with one of the Germans that have enlarged their airboxes by relocating the battery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts