Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Is it worth fitting the later headlamp to my old 790?

I haven’t got a massive problem with the current headlamp but is the later ‘diamond’ one significantly better?

Cheers all

Chris

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
No - the newer stuff is still awful plastic... But it is most definitely worth fitting a 7" Cibie or Hella glass unit -- if you'll excuse the pun, the difference is like night and day...

Tim

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Hi all

I haven’t got a massive problem with the current headlamp but is the later ‘diamond’ one significantly better?

Cheers all

Chris
Definitely not Chris, the earlier glass lens is far better at light diffusion than the diamond reflector/clear lens. Those with them, including myself, usually get rid.

Reactions: Bonnie59

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yup. Replaced mine with a Cibie/Valeo 7" lens. Looks much better than the OEM clear plastic, and better light distribution too.

Reactions: Bonnie59

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not Chris, the earlier glass lens is far better at light diffusion than the diamond reflector/clear lens. Those with them, including myself, usually get rid.
Cheers Ripper, (et all)

I was just asking as one came along at a reasonable price...

Kind Regards

Chris

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - the newer stuff is still awful plastic... But it is most definitely worth fitting a 7" Cibie or Hella glass unit -- if you'll excuse the pun, the difference is like night and day...

Tim

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~
Ah so mine is the early glass unit, no plastic..

Chris

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The Cibie or Hella would still improve over standard . I went with Wipac a little more work to fit but in my opinion they all put more illumination where it's needed .

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Holy grail would be a Cibie Z beam , last one I got my hands on went in a Honda 900 Hornet 2004 ish . Back in the 70's I think Motorcycle Mechanics magazine did a test on aftermarket Halogen conversions Z beam came out top H beam ( fit RD 250/400 ) next followed by Wipac Hairraiser . They analysed the length of main and dip beams and width of lit area .

·
Registered
595 Posts
On late bikes it is a Hella and glass, well mine is anyway, smaller version of course (Scrambler 2015)........

I find it quite good in fact........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts