Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the last item on my "get ready for the summer" maintenance list was to set the back wheel alignment using the laser tool I read about here. I had made a few adjustments last year in response to a 1/16" reduction in belt width. I took delivery last week. I had trouble getting it to sit square to the outer pulley flange because the flange is not square to the teeth, and so does not clamp up well. As a result I didn't have confidence with the unit telling me if the 2 pulleys were lined up. Also, I felt the beam was too big at the front pulley to make an accurate determination of location relative to the rear pulley. BTW the instructions with the unit are useless in terms of how to set it up on the pulley.
If anyone has some words of wisdom on how they got this thing to work for them I am all ears.
Has anyone used it to measure alignment of the wheels themselves to decide if the back wheel is in line with the belt?
I know there is a ton of info on this subject on the web and I don't want to start a new discussion on belt alignment.
Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was never able to get the darn thing to set the belt properly, so devised another method.
I do recall seeing your post and thinking that would be a cool solution to getting a meaningful measurement. I have been using the length of the adjusting screw to the nut measurement as a guide but it bears no relationship to the actual alignment of the back wheel. I admit I have not observed any chirp ever, only belt dust on the inside of the guard and a narrowing of the belt. I will see if I can have your bits made up by a builder/machinist buddy of mine.
BTW if anybody needs a part up to 60" diameter turned on a lathe let me know. If anyone else is interested in these bits let me know and I will get pricing. I am in Canada so if you "south of the 49th" owners want them it would be cheaper with your crazy expensive dollar (compared to ours).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used the Triumph alignment tool exactly once and then got a laser aligner. Once you get enough spacers/washers on the thing to line it up with the belt at the pulley, the first time you use it, it's really easy to get a good alignment without doing any measurements at all. I can align my belt in about 10-15 minutes with this thing and I've only had to use it twice in 6 years; once about two years after getting the bike new and once after replacing the rear tire.

Here's my method: With the rear wheel off the ground, loosen the right-side axle, adjust for belt tension only and lock it down. Re-check the tension after locking the axle and re-adjust if necessary. Mine seems to work best with 0.5" to 0.75" deflection. Mount the laser on the pulley, loosen the left side axle then adjust the left side adjuster until the laser dot just kisses the right edge of the belt as viewed on the belt as far from the laser adjuster unit as possible (see the picture, look along the belt for the red dot). This assumes you've mounted the laser adjuster such that the laser exit hole is aligned with the right side edge of the belt, viewed straight down from the top of the adjuster. Carefully tighten the left side axle and re-check that the alignment hasn't moved.

If the dot moved when you tightened, re-do the alignment. Might take some patience and a few tries. Lower the rear wheel with the tool still on the pulley and re-check alignment. If it moved when the wheel touched down, take some (but not all) weight off the wheel and re-adjust, tighten, lower and re-check. Sounds like a lot of repetition but after a couple of alignments, it just takes a few tries if you've been careful; fewer if you're lucky enough to have Matt's Adjusters.

Don't expect the belt to ride in the middle of the pulley. Mine has always run on the left; some say their's runs on the right. If it doesn't squeak, it's aligned,

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I used the Triumph alignment tool exactly once and then got a laser aligner. Once you get enough spacers/washers on the thing to line it up with the belt at the pulley, the first time you use it, it's really easy to get a good alignment without doing any measurements at all. I can align my belt in about 10-15 minutes with this thing and I've only had to use it twice in 6 years; once about two years after getting the bike new and once after replacing the rear tire.

Here's my method: With the rear wheel off the ground, loosen the right-side axle, adjust for belt tension only and lock it down. Re-check the tension after locking the axle and re-adjust if necessary. Mine seems to work best with 0.5" to 0.75" deflection. Mount the laser on the pulley, loosen the left side axle then adjust the left side adjuster until the laser dot just kisses the right edge of the belt as viewed on the belt as far from the laser adjuster unit as possible (see the picture, look along the belt for the red dot). This assumes you've mounted the laser adjuster such that the laser exit hole is aligned with the right side edge of the belt, viewed straight down from the top of the adjuster. Carefully tighten the left side axle and re-check that the alignment hasn't moved.

If the dot moved when you tightened, re-do the alignment. Might take some patience and a few tries. Lower the rear wheel with the tool still on the pulley and re-check alignment. If it moved when the wheel touched down, take some (but not all) weight off the wheel and re-adjust, tighten, lower and re-check. Sounds like a lot of repetition but after a couple of alignments, it just takes a few tries if you've been careful; fewer if you're lucky enough to have Matt's Adjusters.

Don't expect the belt to ride in the middle of the pulley. Mine has always run on the left; some say their's runs on the right. If it doesn't squeak, it's aligned,

View attachment 722211
That's the way I do it. Have to align it every time I get a new tire installed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks PapaSmurf for the advice! I bought the laser tool and have an absolutely quiet belt for the first time in 10 years and 50K miles!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts