Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody made an exhaust with a larger diameter exhaust for a Storm? Stock is 1.25" I am thinking about something on the order of 1.5"

·
Registered
6 Posts
How about 2.5"? :) I put the Short TORS on my 2011 shortly after I bought it in 2012. Very nice tone, lower note, a bit louder. And I did the factory tune.

But after a while I felt this beast of a motor deserved a bit more respect. I looked at the various off-the-shelf products and YouTube videos and really didn't find what I had in mind. After listening to the various modifications people have done I decided, for various reasons (tone mostly), to leave the cat on the bike. So I took a trip down to the muffler shop where I had my Challenger done. He steered me right on that deal, so I asked him about cutting the baffles out of my original stock TBird Storm mufflers and shortening them. He nixed that idea saying it would leave kind of a mess, and showed me some polished stainless glasspacks. I asked if he could cut the slip-on fittings and hangers from the Triumph mufflers, and he agreed to weld the parts onto these:
http://www.dtexhaust.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=dtm-141
We also refitted the bike with the stock heat shields. $250 total.

The result is a much deeper exhaust note, and Harley loud. It's lost some of it's British politeness but none of its Triumph character. The guys still recognize the sound of my bike when it approaches. It's just that now they hear it from a bit further away. I think the sound does justice to the 104 cubic inch displacement. Fantastic tone at 3,000 to 4,000 RPM - nothing better. Obviously louder under a load, but much less noticeably at cruising speed. And the throttle seems a bit more sensitive, too. Better low end. I find I'm upshifting at lower RPM. I don't think it's lost anything at the top end, either. Won't know for sure until I go up against one of my Harley buddies again. It feels like it has more thump, even in the bars.
It may use more fuel in acceleration, but it still seems to cruise just as economically.

Wearing earplugs now. But I love it, and I'm not going back. :) If anyone is interested I can measure dB SPL and post photos. I may try to do a video.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice and not crazy expensive. 1600 for a staintune is just outrageous IMO. I do have a correction. Stock diameter is 1.5" so 1.75" might be in order. I too am not that impressed with what is available. I am thinking 1.5" is a little tight for 850cc piston but interestingly I am not really out for the loudness. just looking for a pinch more diameter to give a little more top end. I am making my own can for it this summer and my goal is deep but not too crazy loud. We'll see, probably be loud as h_ll but fun to experiment with.
On a fueling side note, I had a vibration in and around 3k rpm. Went on a mile burning trip this weekend loaded two up and that smoothed out. Wondering if it finally broke in at 7.5k. Lots of low rpm plodding this trip.
When and if I do start the 1.75" I will post picks. If the can is pretty enough I will post them too.
Martin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I developed the 2-1 can over last summer but have not run it yet as I ran into prob's with my welding setup. Should be squaring that issue away shortly. The can itself is a bit heavier than I expected. I think I might be scraping the project and going in a new direction.
Still no 1.75" exhausts out there. That is a bit disconcerting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts