Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was laid off this afternoon. I had a feeling it was coming but the reality of it still sucks. I was the second shift Production Supervisor for an electronics assembly business in Walnut Creek. We did a lot for the defense industry and with the current administration things aren't looking too good.
My background is in manufacturing, from quartz sensors under a microscope to large capital equipment. If anyone has any leads in the Northern California area please give me a shout.

Andy

Mods, if this post is against the rules please accept my apologies and delete it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I feel yer pain AVM, it happened to me a while back and there`s still nothin on my horizon !!

hope new doors open for ya !!

KK

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hope things turn around for you.

Just curious - what is it about the current administration that makes your situation look not too good?

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
That's tough, sorry to hear about it. I'm sure with your background an opening will appear.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope things turn around for you.

Just curious - what is it about the current administration that makes your situation look not too good?
A large part of the business I was in was for the military and the new administration is cutting defense spending.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry to hear that M8,its the same the world over, the banks f*ck up an we all paying for it, my job (construction) is permanently on the line here in the UK.Hope it works out for you soon

·
Registered
177 Posts
Happened to me back in 2001 after 23 years with the same Company (big UK & International food manufacturer). Got told on a Friday 13th too ! I was devastated, so I can guess how you're feeling.. To add insult to injury, the Company screwed up my package. The HR dept. (full of new guys brought in to handle the downsize !!) didn't check their records, which clearly showed I'd been there since '78, so only calculated my severence from '90. Pretty shoddy, considering I was the Group Chief Engineer !! Got it sorted eventually.
On the bright side, I immediately started my own Consulting business and have never looked back. Life has been very good since.
There IS life after redundancy.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Times are really tought right now. Just discovered my neighbor got laid off.
Wondered why I never see the guy, I think he is just sitting on the couch and being depressed and feeling sorry for himself.
Lots of big layoffs from firms here in Kansas City and no end in sight.
Wife and I were thinking of giving him a sympathy card with some cash, but thought he might take it wrong..........
It sucks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Andy,

Feeling your pain, brother.

keep your pecker up and try and stay positive.

And don't sell the bike :eek:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thats really tough. Sorry to hear it. Several years ago a company I had worked at for 19 and half years just shut their doors and closed down so I know how you feel. 2000 people laid off just like that. Times are tough now but hang in there, something will come along sooner or later.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Andy, hope you secure a position soon, even if means lowering your sights:( remember every £`s ($`s) a prisoner.

Just to mention, I took voluntary 9 years ago and was happy with my choise, then I was made redundant from my next position and was xtatic as the boss was an a***
Now, I have asked to remain with my present company even though I was taking voluntary severence in October with 2 years payout,I think the term is "bottling it";)

Best of luck

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sorry to hear about that AVM. I went through this in November '07.
I am working for a major defense contractor now in the reconnasaince, surveillance & target acquisition buisness. I was skeptical about the new administration too, but it appears they are not going to cut funding for equipment or troop increases. But we all know how that goes, don't we?

Hope you find something soon! usually when one door closes, two more open up.....

Block

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes AVM, happening this side of the Pond to. My section is being 'transitioned' to India in a couple of months to save on costs despite the fact that the compamy are expected to post a £3billion Pre-tax profit in April!!!!!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bad News

Sorry to hear of your situation. I used to live in Concord when I was stationed at Travis AFB back in 69-70. I loved it out there. But then any place was Heaven after Nam.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Sorry to hear your news AVM, however, you know what they say, every cloud........

Something will appear to you when you least expect it. Plus it gives you a chance to re-evaluate and change course if you have a mind to.

Go well.....

Mick:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts