Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, had a relatively minor 30 mph laydown a few months ago. Tore my acl and meniscus and now that those are finally healed it's time to fix up the bike. Some of this happened off road (hence the tape and dirt) and the rest on the ride home. Here is a list of stuff I know is broken:
$100 - Front Break Line/Reservoir
$700 - Engine/Exhaust (Scratched, not sure if repair required)
$200 - Fuel Tank (Dented, not sure if repair required)
$70 - Passenger Peg
$150 - Back Light Holder
$70 - Bent Handlebars
Pride

Prices are all relative for what I could find online, trying to figure out a baseline for when I get a mechanics quote...

What else do I need to pay attention to when getting my bike looked at? How much can I expect in labor hours?

I have a triumph shop nearby (in Scottsdale) or should I take it to a non-dealer mechanic?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey I think I might have a lot of these parts laying around from a 2014 scrambler. If you wanna pay shipping I'll give em to you if it helps get you back on the road. Send me a DM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
What's wrong with doing a lot of the work yourself ? The only things I see that may need a pro are the header pipe and gas tank.

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville
430 Posts
I don't know if I would even fix any of this except the handlebars, brake stuff and the rear light. You can try taking your bars off and bending them back in a vise with a pipe, and the rear light can be turned into a fun, sticky, glue-soaked jigsaw puzzle, or maybe can be replaced with an aftermarket unit that is perhaps cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing. If you must take it to a shop, I would take it to a dealer since a lot of the parts you need are Triumph-specific so a non-dealer might have trouble sourcing them.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,051 Posts
It’s a Scrambler, just leave the scratches and dents it give the bike character and just tell people u ride the Chit out if it. ;)
T labor will hit u in the wallet alone, like mentioned if u can get the parts and do the work yourself that would b the way to go. Good luck with the rebuild and glad u survived your accident and r doing better now, have a great day!…. FTG

Reactions: AngusB

·
Registered
614 Posts
You should be able to find most of those parts used in mint condition or close enough to it and it's all DIY level work. I'd want to check the fork alignment and look real close to make sure fork stanctions are not bent, depending of course on how you crashed. Of course, the dent in the tank is going to require a pro, and along with paint and however they repair the tank, could be expensive. Mine had just a few little dings and cost about $400, still wasn't done right and I had to redo it a lot.

I have a taillight assembly and handlebar here. I'm sure the headpipe should be easy to find. Brake reservior are a dime a dozen. If it was at my house I'd have it fixed in an afternoon, no sweat. You should have seen my wreck results.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
389 Posts
My friend, it's simple. Replace that handlebar, and fix the tail light and the brakes because those are safety issues. Then fill your fuel tank as full as possible and see if it leaks. If it doesn't, replacing it is a cosmetic issue. I rode around with a dented fuel tank on my previous bike for a year and a half and over 20,000 miles. If it ain't broke, you don't have to fix it. Same thing with the exhaust. It doesn't look like it's leaking, so it's a cosmetic issue. Also take a really good look at the front suspension. Are the forks still straight? If not, get them fixed! But, if the tank doesn't leak, the exhaust doesn't leak, the front end is still like new, and it rides well, what the heck is there to complain about? Ride that bike and use the alone time to think of a good war story about where the scratches came from. Like FTG said, scratches are character. A clean and waxed bike with no scratches or dents is a garage queen. A dirty, scratched bike is a loved bike.

·
Registered
2019 Street Scrambler
5 Posts
I dropped my '19 Street Scrambler in the driveway (and left it there for 20 minutes... you know...bike punishment) which somehow resulted in "fuel in the evap system" causing it to run and idle badly. That was a $100 bill at Phoenix Triumph. Just fyi.

·
Registered
568 Posts
great form you just got offered a lot of parts for free can't ask for more than that .if you are going to ride on dirt I would invest in a set of crash bars . bike shops in aus are anywhere from $90 to over a 100 an hour dont know what they are over there

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
122 Posts
... had a relatively minor 30 mph laydown a few months ago.
No, you didn't have a lay down. Cruiser riders claim they "layed it down" when what they actually did was crash their bike.

You installed patina appropriate for a scrambler ... using a common method for scrambler riders.

The road rash on the pipes and minor reshaping on the tank mark yours as a bike that gets used as intended. Fit a replacement tail light and repair any other safety-related items, then get back on and keep riding.

·
Registered
2010 triumph thunderbird 1600 blk/chrome
27 Posts
Title says it all, had a relatively minor 30 mph laydown a few months ago. Tore my acl and meniscus and now that those are finally healed it's time to fix up the bike. Some of this happened off road (hence the tape and dirt) and the rest on the ride home. Here is a list of stuff I know is broken:
$70 - Passenger Peg
$150 - Back Light Holder
$70 - Bent Handlebars
Pride

Prices are all relative for what I could find online, trying to figure out a baseline for when I get a mechanics quote...

What else do I need to pay attention to when getting my bike looked at? How much can I expect in labor hours?

I have a triumph shop nearby (in Scottsdale) or should I take it to a non-dealer mechanic?

View attachment 758655
View attachment 758656
View attachment 758657 View attachment 758660
View attachment 758659
$70 - Passenger Peg
$150 - Back Light Holder
$70 - Bent Handlebars
Pride

View attachment 758655
View attachment 758656
View attachment 758657 View attachment 758660
View attachment 758659
wow sorry man , i kow this is a little but may b invest in a set of crashbars 4 ur bike might of savd a few of those parts , good luck.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
396 Posts
I'm with most of the others. Fix the safety things and leave the cosmetic character damage. Clean up the tank ding and put on a sticker like these. :)

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville
430 Posts
You could probably clean up your exhaust pipe with wet/dry sandpaper so that when they blue up again, the dents will practically disappear. Also, give your bike a good wash. Even a little dirt can hide a serious crack in something.

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
On the second picture, looking down on the right side of the tank, your cylinder head has some kind of moisture on the top-most cooling fin. Where did that come from?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It depends solely on what YOU want. If you have collision and you want the bike totaled...bring it to the Triumph Dealer for repair. If you dont have collision and want to fix the bike...fix the bike yourself. If you can change the oil in the bike...you should be able to handle the repairs. IF this was my bike...this is how I would proceed.

(1) Power Wash the Bike...Dirt can hide alot of damage
(2) Inspect the bike carefully. Any Fluid where it doest belong? Any Damage to the Frame? Does the Bike track straight ?If so Stop and call the insurance company.
(3) If your preliminary damage report is accurate:
A.) All Parts can be had off eBay cheap. Many different Bonneville Parts are the same across the years and platform. I have a "bootleg" of the Triumph Parts book for my 2001...I am sure there is a copy out there for the Scrambler. If you cant...use Bike Bandits Catalog as a reference .
B.) I dont recommend straightening the handle bars. They will always be tweaked. Your levers dont appear bent in the photos. Are you sure the bars just haven't "turned" in the risers?
C.) The dents appear shallow in the tank. A "paintless" dent repair guy maybe able to fix. I have never had to repair a dent in Triumph Tank. I have fixed tanks with compressed air and belt (NOT RECOMMENDED...its dangerous and if you dont know what your doing you can damage the tank further and hurt yourself. ). I have popped dents in tanks with suction cup pullers and glue guns and puller. I have also had minor success using a heat gun and Ice....ALL of these have risk of doing greater damage.
D.) Unless the tail light housing is damaged...all you need is $40 lens (new).

I am confident that with a little shopping....you can fix all this except the tank for under $350..the gas tank all depends on what is acceptable to you....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the responses! My email did not alert me anyone responded and I am overwhelmed by the support.

I am going to take your advice and try to fix most myself, I live in an apartment building with no garage so may be tough but I'm willing to learn!

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,051 Posts
this might work out for u, when I was transitioning between a sold home and one being built I stayed in a high end 5 story condo for a few months and it had a very nice secured bottom floor parking garage for cars and bikes. I had 2 bikes with me there. I stayed on the third floor it was like a maze but what I did is invest into a rolling tool box from Home Depot for my bikes tools and parts a and drill And bits.
It worked out great where I could just tote everything down to the garage bike parking spot with out breaking my back or having to make back and forth trips For everything. It separates into 3 compartment. I would work on my bikes, clean everything up when done and haul my rolling tool chest back to the apartment with ease. And u can wear a back pack too if u have parts or stuff to carry besides the roller.
Now that I am in our new home and have a full size tool chest agian I just use the roller chest for extra storage of odds and end tools but here r some pics to give u a idea, just take it one day at a time my man. U have some good help here on TRat to guide u along the process with your fixes…FTG

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the upside it gives you a chance to get rid of the **** standard rear light unit....every cloud.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts