Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
BlueAltoid and I are taking a small 5-day trip up the coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco immediately after the fourth of July. BlueAltoid on his t-100 and me on my (¡) new thruxton (!) We’re hoping to spend the night on the 5th in Santa Cruz & the nights of the 6th & 7th in San Francisco. Basically a lot of fun riding and cheap motels.

This leaves us welcoming some input regarding suggested “must-ride” routes and a suggested destination somewhere on the way back from San Fran and LA on the night of the 8th. Chiming in with any other info is also welcomed… must eats, must sees, shops, garages, etc…

If anyone wants to meet for a coffee or snack along the way, that’s cool too…

A must needed “get out of Dodge” (dodge being Los Angeles)…

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey everyone,
BlueAltoid and I are taking a small 5-day trip up the coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco immediately after the fourth of July. BlueAltoid on his t-100 and me on my (¡) new thruxton (!) We’re hoping to spend the night on the 5th in Santa Cruz & the nights of the 6th & 7th in San Francisco. Basically a lot of fun riding and cheap motels.

This leaves us welcoming some input regarding suggested “must-ride” routes and a suggested destination somewhere on the way back from San Fran and LA on the night of the 8th. Chiming in with any other info is also welcomed… must eats, must sees, shops, garages, etc…

If anyone wants to meet for a coffee or snack along the way, that’s cool too…

A must needed “get out of Dodge” (dodge being Los Angeles)…

Perhaps a loop vs an out an back. I.e. take the PCH up to SF and then find a route west of the Interstate to come back on, just a thought. I been to Cali several times but I'm not from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps a loop vs an out an back. I.e. take the PCH up to SF and then find a route west of the Interstate to come back on, just a thought. I been to Cali several times but I'm not from there.
Definitely a loop and exactly... The plan was up the coast for the route up and something inland on the way home... I think I'd like to ride on the 46 at one point in the trip (the James Dean death rode)... at least I think that was the highway... I have a feeling there's going to be much googling in planning this excursion... Thanks for the input! - johnny

·
Registered
162 Posts
The motorcycle museum at Solvang. is sorta on your way if you have not been. Alcatraz in SF is worth a visit too

Steve

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Definitely a loop and exactly... The plan was up the coast for the route up and something inland on the way home... I think I'd like to ride on the 46 at one point in the trip (the James Dean death rode)... at least I think that was the highway... I have a feeling there's going to be much googling in planning this excursion... Thanks for the input! - johnny

I couldn't tell you specifically but that was exactly my point. Enjoy. And plan long and well, that's half the trip.:D

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I'm sure there are no more scenic roads than I 5.......But seriously I wish I was there to ride it too, whenever I get on that coast I have my 18 wheels with me :(

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The coast will be a nightmare of Road america from cambria northward. There are much better roads and ways to get there if you are so inclined.

west of the coastal range will be cool probably foggy. east of the coastal ranges will be HOT. pick your posion. Inland is better.

here is a link to a map I made for you. I did not waste my time making note for you. If you have ?? then I probably got answers.
best of the best
we've done the green section& back to L.a. in a day
this route is ALL TWISTYS except for a few short speed runs. You'll need to put your head down and make time when you can.
TON UP.
It will take ALL DAY to do this route but it is truly the best of the best.

the way back Hollister (25S) ->198E to coalinga (gas) backtrack to Peach Tree RD/Indian Valley(S). out at san Miguel/101 then backtrack the route up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, MES - Thank you! I'll definitely be looking into this. What an amazing route... For sure worth some day trips on the first leg all by itself in the coming months. Can't thank you enough! - johnny

·
Registered
41 Posts
suggested must ride roads

If you have not visited the roads just north of SF in Marin County - right across the GG bridge -- there are some of the best back roads anywhere in the world for motorcycling. IMHO. Consider a 90 - 100 mile or so morning run across GG bridge and up 101 to Lucas Valley Road (maybe add in a ride up the headlands to your left, just over the bridge and and up the hill for the view back over SF and then run down through Sausalito if you've never been there, then pick up 101 North again.) Take Lucas Valley road west to its end, turn right into and go through Nicasio, (pit stop at Nicasio Ranch), then right on the Petaluma/Olema rd and left on Hicks Valley Rd out to Marshall and Rt 1, and then take 1 all the way south back thru the Olema Valley to Stinson beach, along the cliffs over the ocean down to to Muir Beach (Pelican Inn for refresment), run up thru Muir woods, back down Mt Tam....

Great twisties, great scenery. And if you can manage to get out there relatively early in the day you'll get long stretches of spectacular secluded, rural back roads pretty much to yourself, for cutting loose. Plus, if you start from SF in the am, you're going against traffic on 101.

Cheers! Let everyone know where you'll be staying in town and maybe we can get some SF triumph folks together...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I use to ride up there as a kid. Good fun.
Good advice 'cause it is well worth it. Lots of options.
The whole Ft.Bragg -willits- colusa -S.F triangle is filled with endless loops.
It use to be wide open, don't know how it is now.

stevekensington, I had to look that route up on Google maps cause I don't remember the names. Just the general lay out. It looks like fun.

gonejohnny, you picked a classic. The nice thing about this is that any riding style can have a great time. It about what you want to see and what types of roads you like.
Have fun
cambria is the end of July. Big fun

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
MES, What happens in Cambria? The guys at my local Triumph shop are always talking about the Cambria Trip but I thought it was a private affair. Like I needed an invitation. So what gives?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Cambria is a bunch of Bonnie (50 or so) (and a few other types) of riders getting together for a weekend of hanging out and riding.

What is your local shop? SBT? Carlos and a bunch of his friends started it. call carlos at TPUSA and tell him you want to go.

It's not really private. It's more, word of mouth.
there is a thread at The New Triumph Bonneville Forum in the "shows,rallys, rides" section. They have booked the entire Palms motel and have rooms available so all you need is money and you got a front row seat.

So there, your invited.
M ES

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Why thank you, M ES!
Yup, SBT. Best dern shop around (- though I wasn't so sure at first.)

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
if you go up the 5, take 46 over. There u can see where James Dean crashed.

you can also take also cut over to Montery, up the 1, to 17, to 35, to Half Moon Bay.

Have fun

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heading Out...

Hey guys, please excuse my lack of comm on this post. Things have been a little hectic in preparation... getting the bike ready (hey, it's brand new), preparing for the week off of work, etc....

We take off tomorrow morning at dawn and are definitely taking some of the suggested routes that you guys have offered.

If there are any of you in the bay area that would like to ride with us: We are meeting up at the Buena Vista Cafe at 8am on the morning of the Tuesday, the 7th for some Eggs Bennedict (2765 Hyde St, 94109). The plan is to ride up through the Muir Wood to Stintson Beach and up to Bodega Bay. Anyone that comes, I will supply the coffee recharge in Bodega Bay - let's say, the first 10-cups to keep it safe ;).

Again, thanks for all the input. I will for sure post some pics and take lots of notes at night...

Best, Gone Johnny Fisher

1 - 15 of 15 Posts