Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off hello all.
I'm brand spanking new to this forum and before I start my homework I wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions. I have this 955i reserved and it just seems to me like its almost tooo low to be legit. I mean do you think its possible that a private owner totally trashed the bike and sold it to the dealership who then fixed the motorcycle up to sell quick at a low price? I'm trading in my Monster 750 on friday and was wondering what you gents think of this deal: http://roadtrackandtrail.com/new_ve...8K2009J4I52I27JPMQ2767R0&veh=6048&pov=1091645
The salesperson said the motorcycle has minor roadrash on one fairing (no big deal).
Also, this is sort of an impulse buy, because it is so cheap, so I haven't had time to do extensive research on the motorcycle. I read that they love using up oil and the gearbox is a little clunky, but those seem to be the only complaints. Anybody else have regular issues with these beasts?
How would this compare to an SV1000s? I absolutely loved riding one thats why I ask. It was modified, but I would still like to know.

Thank you

Eddie

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Welcome Eddie

Looks clean enough in the pics but that doesn't mean a lot.
The infill panels missing between tail section & tank; has OEM exhaust.
I see the rash on left side - nothing that suggests a heavy down, more just a 'fallen over' kinda event.

Don't know about your 'using oil' comment - mine doesn't.

You would probably feel more torque from your VTwin down low (I have a TL and a Daytona) but the Daytona will come on really strong in the upper half)

Clean title?

Certainly seems like a good deal at the price.
Not super cheap - Daytonas don't value out very well so under $5K is not hard to find at all - but at under $4K with those miles hard to go wrong I would think.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would make sure to see if it has a salvaged title or not some states will not let you regester with out a inspection done and some states wont even let you title a salvage bike at all, So I have heared from a friend in IL. he is going threw that right now . I would also see if you cant take off the rear swing arm carbon cover, I am sure it is all messed up under it. Its just held on by two sided tape, If its not to bad and just cosmetic and the price is right I would go for it. Will they let you test drive it? I have put to gether some pretty messed up bikes in the past, and with the right work done to it The ride like new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
the different color wheels are a little suspicious. Other than that it looks clean. I would find someone who knows Triumphs and have them check it out for you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks like it's had a big hit at the back. It's missing it's side panels, has different indicators and has some interesting polished bits. The heel guards are polished as is the r/h hanger. It's hard to see but it doesnt look like the l/h hanger is polished. I'll bet that's a new rear wheel, and it's possibly a new rear subframe and undertray.

It's hard to tell but the colour doesnt look quite right either; possible complete respray.

I'd very carefully check that it's all straight. Look for scuffs around the forks and check that the wheels line up. Unlike a double sides swing arm, the single sided swing arm doesnt allow the wheel to be squint. So if the wheels dont line up with the steering dead ahead then something is bent somewhere.

Ask the garage if you can speak to the previous owner. You'll soon see if they've something to hide!

These bikes are absolute bargains at the moment though. If this one is no good then another one will turn up. Fabulous machines, but then you will get a bit of bias here!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh yeah; the quoted mileage is the mileage that the clocks have done, not necessarily the rest of the bike... Check the condition of the gear change rubber, or the wear on discs, or odd rusty fasteners/brackets for an indication of real mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How would this compare to an SV1000s? I absolutely loved riding one thats why I ask. It was modified, but I would still like to know.

Thank you

Eddie

I have been riding, and modifying to perfection, a TL1000R for the last 4 years, and it was the bike I swore I would never sell.

Early this spring I test rode a Triumph Sprint 1050, and fell in love with the wonderful triple power delivery. I bought my Sprint that afternoon, and I now actually look forward to going to work as I know I get to ride the Sprint.

In fact, I like the Sprint so much, I bought this for my wife (no really, it was all for her :D).

I sold my TL1000R last week... I also test rode an '03 Daytona 955i, and realized I need to add one to the stable as it would round out my collection nicely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot

Thanks for all the advise. I tried getting the name of the person who owned it before but the salesman never got back to me. It does seem fishy that the infills are missing on the front and side. For a one owner bike that fell at 5-10mph (per the dealers explaination) it does perplex me. Also it has new diablo tires soooo....my gut says its almost too good of a deal as I stated before. I'm going to contact the last owner definitely and have them take off the fairings and explain to me why the infills are missing from a low speed fall.

To Decosse: its just something I read from consumer reviews of the motorcycle (the oil burning) so I just wanted to confirm that.

t955i: In Wisconsin you HAVE to have the vehicle inspected, but yes you are right Illionois is different.

BadMiker: Thanks for all the observations I will definitely remember to do everything you posted.

Thanks much again (gotta get back to work)

·
Registered
142 Posts
worry

dude, i would jump on that thing like a duck on a june bug !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm

I don't think I am. The owner is from florida, but he doesn't live there now?? No disclosure...No buy...I'm going to have a friend look at it thats pretty damn good at racing and has ridden 955i's before.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
The stock wheels should be black therefor it is the front that has been replaced;
initially I thought the black subframe was wrong for the solver frame, but that seems valid.
the swing-arm has a carbon fiber skin on it which probably says the PO installed that, and therefor probably was not shunted up that end - along with polishing the pegs and fitting new turn signals - don't think there are any real flags there - if one side done vs other not, that might be a sign of something odd.
The stock exhaust looks as new as the mileage says - if someone re-building after wreck, who would pay the money for a stock item?
I can't believe re-spray since the left fairing still shows the scuffs - which clearly were not the result of a major disaster.

The front wheel is the one real oddity as well as why the infill panels are just gone?
Black fender as well vs body colour!
The fork bottoms looks awfully pristine vs the brake calipers.
I think I'd spend more time looking at front end rather than rear.

Stock picture

edit - note that's a 2002 model in the pic below - DSSA - will look for an 03 pic

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Makemydaytona, $3500 tops! Why? The C/F bits aren't cheap. No doubt it's a minor rebuild of some sort and it's not uncommon for someone to buy a new motorcycle, get stupid and crash it.

IMHO everything looks the part for a low milage D955i. Previous owner may've killed the original front wheel in a pot hole or curb and fell over. The tires may've both been replaced so that the rear would match a new front (OEM tires aren't in production anymore). The front tire or a warped wheel could've destroyed the old front fender.

Brad

PS DEcosse brought up a good point about the calipers. I checked the three D955is in the garage and two of them have a more of a matte grey finish, the third's is much darker grey, but not quite black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well....

it seems if i got the bike i'd have to pay roughly 2k a year mandatory (WI law for full year insurance) so i may end up with an sv1000 or maybe even an sv650 so I could make a track bike out of it in the future. thanks anyway for all the input and I will definitely own a triumph in the future (when i don't have school, rent, and everything else to pay for)

Eddie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually checked this bike out first hand 3 months ago . The pictures are deceiving in my opinion, the left side of this bike looks like it was dumped pretty hard when viewing it in person, and the salesman that was helping me at the time agreed. If your serious about buying it I would make the trip to check it out in person before throwing your money down. I'm not saying that there is anything mechanically wrong with it, but from an aesthetic point of view i would not want to chance it. If you really want it, try to talk them down in price. I think they have had this bike for quite a while now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
indeed

the price was 5K before. I did look at it in person and brought up many of the points stated before in this thread. The salesperson was playing dumb with me so even if insurance was cheap I still wouldn't trust the "history" of that motorcycle. They just seem very sketchy. Granted it could be a perfectly fine motorcycle. The front fairing had a crack covered in black duct tape on the inside. Carbon fiber cover on the swingarm was attached w/ doublesided tape as stated before, but the swing arm looked in good condition when I popped it off. The bottom of the forks were definitely resprayed. Calpers too. Even had a crack on the rear fairing. All this for "It looks like it may have been dumped at 5mph in the grass" which is what the salesperson said when I first called about the motorcycle. If salespeople would be honest they would get a lot more turnover and a better customer base in the long run. He didn't know where the missing infills were. Thought maybe they came from the dealership with different color wheels :confused: . It must be because I'm younger that he was trying to take me for a fool. I'm almost afraid to go there again to check out the sv1000s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts