Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having speedo problems and wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem. So I thought I might be better off replacing the stock unit with an aftermarket unit. The unit cost a little more but if I need to replace the stock speedo sensor a 2nd time it will pay for this unit. Is this speedo problem something that I wont have to worry about in the future or should I take the plunge and replace it with this unit? Does anyone use one of these on there S3? Pros and Cons? Anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you even look into the sensor issue before you're ready to blame the instrument cluster?
Garbage in = garbage out!
Seems like a bit extreme to be considering replacement of the cluster at this point.
I did pull it and it is my sensor. I am not sure how long these things last and at $180 or so a pop it might just make sense to dump the stock set-up and go for something different. Does this make any sense?:confused: PLEASE HELP ME:(

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Actually it doesn't make any sense :confused:

This surely sounds like self-promotion, but I have nothing personal to gain from this - not trying to sell you anything myself, just giving you a simple solution at extremely low cost.

What do you find unappealing about the sender retrofit option I propsed?
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/106296-broken-speedo-sender-fix-also-mod-for-05-wheels-on-early-model.html
I can virtually guarantee you if you go with an after-market gauge you will have to fit a similar sender (to my solution) anyway - they almost all come with a set-up that includes a magnet for a rotating feature (front or rear rotor, rear sprocket etc) and a Hall Effect sensor to wire to the new head.
So why spend all that money on a replacement cluster to have a solution that will incorporate a similar sender that can be had for $25.
I agree that spending $180 on a new OEM sender - that can potentially fail again - may be not that exciting. But the replacement I suggest really has little to no potential for future failure as unlike the OEM, it has no nechanically interacting parts that can be damaged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually it doesn't make any sense :confused:

This surely sounds like self-promotion, but I have nothing personal to gain from this - not trying to sell you anything myself, just giving you a simple solution at extremely low cost.

What do you find unappealing about the sender retrofit option I propsed?
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/106296-broken-speedo-sender-fix-also-mod-for-05-wheels-on-early-model.html
I can virtually guarantee you if you go with an after-market gauge you will have to fit a similar sender (to my solution) anyway - they almost all come with a set-up that includes a magnet for a rotating feature (front or rear rotor, rear sprocket etc) and a Hall Effect sensor to wire to the new head.
So why spend all that money on a replacement cluster to have a solution that will incorporate a similar sender that can be had for $25.
I agree that spending $180 on a new OEM sender - that can potentially fail again - may be not that exciting. But the replacement I suggest really has little to no potential for future failure as unlike the OEM, it has no nechanically interacting parts that can be damaged.
There is nothing wrong with your set-up. It is just the thick headed guy in me not wanting to admit I dont understand what you are doing. I am a little slow. Do I need to buy a TL sender and add magnets to it? again I did read it and it all looks great but I am not a real fast learner and I think I am missing something. Could you help me understand it a little better? I would love to only have to spend 20 or so dollars to fix it.

Thanks!!
slow dumb guy that has problems comprehending what I read. please help!

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Buy a GSXR (or TL or Hayabusa or SV1K) sender off Ebay
(Here's one for $25) (pickings are slim right now - there's not much under $20 which is very unusual) But that's a late model one, virtually new.

If you're patient & search Ebay you'll find a sensor for $10. If you're in a hurry, buy that one.

Toss or re-sell the cover on that one I linked, you just need the sensor
Cut cable off your old OEM sensor down by the sensor itself (at the axle) and then cut the connector plug off the 'new one' and join the wires as per the instruction in first post
Get some Neodymium magnets - again should find these on EBay
Mount magnets to the rotor buttons in 4 positions.
Mount sensor on a bracket (piece of aluminum angle) so sensor is opposite the magnets as they rotate past it.
Plug it in to harness and test it.
You don't even have to remove the wheel! (although best at some point to just pull the broken bits of magnet out of the old sender).

Use the pics by doodledog to see how to mount the magnet and sensor/bracket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts