Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
some friends and i are gonna be comming out to new york in a couple weeks and just wanted to ask some locals about some travel tips...like things to see, places to visit, hidden gem eateries, local deals, events, skate spots, only gonna be there for about 5 days so i wanna pack in as much as i can, preferably stuff off the beaten path, i mean of course ground zero and things like the statue of liberty is a staple, but i wanna see things nobody goes to see or knows about... any help would be much appreciated!
thanks - chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go to the Cloisters in Fort Tyron Park, all the way at the north end of Manhatten. Not many tourists get up there. I've been visiting NYC for close to 30 years and just got up there for the first time last year. The Cloisters is a very cool museum, but the park has great gardens and sits WAY above the Hudson. I believe it's the highest point in the city by far. Well, the highest street-level in the city.

And try to leave lots of time to hang out in, and wander through, Central Park. It really is amazing. The landscape changes every few blocks: ponds, open fields, woods, and from manicured to wild. Sit and watch the people go by and you'll see all of humanity in half an hour.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just off the top of my head:

Niagara Falls
the gorge in Letchworth State Park
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes
Long Island Sound
Montauk Point
Poughkeepsie Railroad trestle
Downtown Ithaca
I'll skip the Adirondacks and Catkills since there are mountains in Colorado

There is a lot of NY north and west of Manhattan.

Where are you going to be and how far do you want to travel?

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Take a day and run the Hudson north into the Hudson Valley. Bear Mountain, West Point, Poughkeepsie, Washington HQs...you don't even have to stop. Just make it a ride day...the Hudson Valley will blow you away.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
While you're in NYC, get downtown to Greenwich Village. It's really alive in the summer. Lot's of little eateries. I always loved Peculiar Pub on Bleeker St., it's got a great beer menu. NYU is right there and Washing Square Park is always teeming with people.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It's gotten a bit touristy, but head to McSorley's Old Ale House at 15 E 7th St.
Plenty of Irish pubs in the Turtle Bay neighborhood on 2nd Ave in the 50s.
Make good use of your 2 legs and the subway.
You can see a lot while walking, and make good time on the subway. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
you should walk along the city walls and see the viking exhibition.

They've got them in old york so they must have even better ones in new york somewhere. Stands to reason.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Ride the Flushing Line from Times Square to Flushing (Queens) and/or v.v. Much of it is elevated. It's cheap, an interesting ride, and the tourists don't do it.

Ground Zero is nothing but a construction site, although some kind of memorial might be there now. Not much to see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the great ideas, will have to do some research and see whats gonna work best...unfortunately were not driving, so dont know if we will be able to travel much further than the subways, staying in manhatten for a couple days then hostels where we see fit after that

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
ferry

Take the Staten Island Ferry from lower Manhattan to SI; cheap, great pix of the NY skyline, it is still warm out

Walk the Highline; was the old elevated train platform on west side in the 18th-26th St (approx) area, now a park with cool benches and runs under the Standard Hotel

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

They've got them in old york so they must have even better ones in new york somewhere. Stands to reason.
Smart arse! :)

McSorley's is ok. The Slaughtered Lamb on West 4th St used to do great chicken wings. Hudson Valley is beautiful, if you get out of town, but in 5 days you're not going to do New York City really.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

Thanx I just shot Coca Cola out my nose!

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Here's a little suggestion for some Manhattan fun. First off, arrange to stay mid-town at the wonderful art deco New Yorker Hotel. Ask for room 3327. This is the room in which Nikola Tesla lived the last ten years of his life. Look for the secret trap-door hidden compartment where he left a fully functional particle beam weapon that J.Edgar Hoover's FBI failed to find at the time of his death. It'll probably fit in a suitcase. Stand outside the hotel entrance and board the first double-deck sight-seeing tour bus that comes along. Get a seat upstairs. Now comes the fun part.

First you'll wanna test out Tesla's theories concerning the "teleforce death ray weapon" that he unsuccessfully marketed to the U.S. War Department during WW II. Maybe try it out on a few pigeons, rats, Starbucks, or other likely unwanted subjects. Your fellow passengers will cheer you on no doubt. Then when the tour bus turns onto Wall St. ask the driver to pause a bit while you do some "banking". Have those billionaire bankers return their "bailout" money(with interest) back to the tax-payers who have been so generous, and there won't be any "death-ray" trouble. Now you've just become a national hero. But wait, we're not done yet.

There's still plenty of fun to be had. If you're a Rockies fan then you of course wouldn't mind seeing the Yankees new stadium be made somewhat more intimate with a little "death ray" modification. The bane of many city dwellers is the lack of curb-side parking. Now you can correct this problem with a few "directed energy" bursts. You say all that heavy traffic congestion grid-lock is slowing down the Circle Tour bus? Is that what's bothering you Bunkie? BaDa Boom- no more "Cross Town Traffic" Jimi. 'Course ya might wanna politely ask all the vehicles occupants to get out of their cars before you vaporize them... remember, with world domination comes great responsibility. So there you have it, another way to have fun in the Big Apple.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
I've heard the Tenement Museum is interesting, intend to see it myself on my next trip to NYC.

Taking a commuter train up the Hudson Valley line and back is a nice way to see some of it. Depart from Grand Central Station. The train does literally run along the shore of this great river. There are some spectacular views to be had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts