Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recently contacted Triumph about the correct length spec for the spring and they confirmed there isn't one. I believe 73.7mm is from a Haynes manual but I have no further source than that. The spring in my 1050 engine is about 69mm from memory, no idea what the spring in my 955 engine is.

As long as they're around the 70mm mark I wouldn't worry, and as fred said you can always add a shim if you're bothered. Alternatively Sprint Manufacturing sell a replacement 74mm spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I found it online on the below link:
I will check my Haynes manual see if there is anything in there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FYI, I also thought the spring on mine was bad, because the Haynes manual said the same thing - 73.7mm. But the new spring in the brand new, expensive tensioner was the exact same length as my old one, just under 70mm. I stacked 3mm worth of small washers and slipped them into the tensioner before putting the spring back in. Easy to retrieve them using a magnetic pick-up. Whether it will make any difference is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Soo..Just to update.

I removed the spring from the tensioner and tried to push down with a metal rod to see if there was a click or any kind of movement, but nothing that I noticed. I did measure the spring before putting it back in and seems to be approx 69.5mm. The bike continued to make the same noise on startup so decided to take it next morning to the local bike garage to get an opinion on it.

But by the time I got there the bike had stopped making the noise (1 mile away). The guy said it sounded like a normal speed triple, and it did to me too by that time. He said it may have been something to do with the starting system that didn't like the repeated starting attempts and suggested i should just ride it.

The bike is riding as it used to no loss of power or smoothness. Idle is stable. Essentially the noise goes away after riding it for about half a mile. BUT...it returns when I start it from cold, sometimes less noticeable or prominent (I've started it cold 3 times since).

I'm uneasy with the sound even though the guy said it hasn't skipped a tooth and its very unlikely to be the valve clearances.

I think I may get a second opinion. But its really difficult to get it to a mechanic whilst it is still making the noise.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That sucks, sorry you haven't been able to resolve it yet. Did the mechanic you took it actually take off the cam cover to check stuff or just give it a listen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I took it to him to check out the noise but it had gone by then and it was the first time I had ridden it, so thought it may have 'fixed itself' as she sounded absolutely fine by then. But the sound is still there. I may wait it out a bit and see if it continues, if it does it will have to be opened up.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
1-Did you ever use this bike with such a low temp?
2-What is the actual temp when it's making odd noise?
3-What oil viscosity is in there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I bought the bike in January 2019, there have been cold days since then. When the bike wouldn't start and subsequently started making the noise after it had been very cold that weekend and I hadn't started it for approx 4 days (which I don't think is a long time) The noise has continued yesterday and today and I would say that was around 6-10 degrees Celsius.
I'm not sure what the oil viscosity is as the bike was serviced prior to buying it and is only coming up to its service now.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
6 °C is not very cold. Below 0 (freezing) is cold.
I remember on morning ( really freezing ) I went to the gas station to get fuel. Then I realized I couldn't go because of the icy road. I left the bike until after work when I picked up the bike. The ice melted w/ the sun during the sunny day. When I drove the bike after that I felt vibrations I couldn't source. For me it was obvious It was related to the coldness. Turned out the chain was shot. A new chain and sprockets solved it.
I don't say your problem is related though. Just say that sometimes things seem obvious while they are not.

I would service the bike now.
You can't imagine how an old (close to service) oil would react to coldness. Often, bike than commute daily short trips develop condensation in the oil pan and clutch case. Wondering what this mayonnaise is doing when way below 0°C.
BTW I'm wondering whether your clutch plates may have been stuck 4 days in the cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
6 °C is not very cold. Below 0 (freezing) is cold.
I remember on morning ( really freezing ) I went to the gas station to get fuel. Then I realized I couldn't go because of the icy road. I left the bike until after work when I picked up the bike. The ice melted w/ the sun during the sunny day. When I drove the bike after that I felt vibrations I couldn't source. For me it was obvious It was related to the coldness. Turned out the chain was shot. A new chain and sprockets solved it.
I don't say your problem is related though. Just say that sometimes things seem obvious while they are not.

I would service the bike now.
You can't imagine how an old (close to service) oil would react to coldness. Often, bike than commute daily short trips develop condensation in the oil pan and clutch case. Wondering what this mayonnaise is doing when way below 0°C.
BTW I'm wondering whether your clutch plates may have been stuck 4 days in the cold.
No its not very cold but during the time it was stopped for 4 days I would imagine it had gone below freezing.

I will be servicing the bike sooner rather than later for sure I'm sure it will help somewhat. The noise has also reduced incrementally on start up. This morning there was only a small amount and stopped before i even started riding it. So I'm a bit clueless as to what it was.

What would be a sign of the clutch plates being stuck?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts