Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '01 Bonnie. What I've noticed that that when I'm accelerating, especially on level or uphill grades, that I get a knocking noise. The noise increases with increased speed. So if I'm at a stop sign on the bottom of the hill and accelerate, I hear it and then as I accelerate to higher speeds it increases in frequency.

The noise sounds like the noise the clutch makes on engagement. NOT a loud metallic knock, but a kind of "chuch, chuch, chuch". As if my keys were laden with 20 other keys and were swinging and hitting against the fork (but this wouldn't happen under acceleration).

I recently bought this Bonnie so I'm a bit wary of riding it further. It's had about 200 miles put on it by me so far. It runs fine otherwise. I recently took some slack out of the chain, however, I'm not sure whether the noise existed prior to adjusting the chain freeplay or not.

Any ideas?

The closes thread that approximates my problem is this: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/175510-strange-rattle-cam-chain.html

·
Registered
302 Posts
Chain?

luckyduck,

If you think it could be the chain then get the rear wheel off the ground and check to see if there is a tight spot in the chain as you turn the wheel around. Set the tension for the tight spot but also think about replacing it soon.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
That is what I did. I tensioned for the tightest spot on the chain.

I'm thinking of checking the front sprocket tightness.
We've had a lot of riders report a loose front sprocket following clunking noises like that, you'll need a 36 mm socket though, not the usual item found in the average toolbox.

Here's the most recent thread. There are photos, advice, torque settings, etc on it:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/220557-front-sprocket-nut-was-loose.html

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Here is the Torgue setting:

Note that you need a 36MM Socket.

Note: The nut is best tightened to its correct torque with the bike on the ground (off its stand) with someone sitting on the bike with it in first gear and the brakes firmly on! I always add a spot of Blue Loctite to the threads to ensure that the nut does not vibrate loose in the future.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
01 bikes had trouble with clutch noise thats prob what you hearing the changed the clutch on later bikes call your nearest dealer they can tell you what you need to fix it.I think you will need to replace the clutch basket.I f the later clutch will fit (I think it will then you can buy a used one off ebay pretty cheap.Its not a big job to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm thanks for the replies. So if the nut on the sprocket is tight then I'll look into clutch issues.

Is what I'm experiencing really clutch chatter though? I thought clutch chatter was primarily experienced at low speed stop and go, whereas I hear the thunking or knocking noise at any speed between 20-50mph.

Also, would a local Triumph dealer cover the clutch recall issue even though I'm way out of warranty?

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Also, would a local Triumph dealer cover the clutch recall issue even though I'm way out of warranty?
After 11 years? no chance. I don't think it was a recall as such, they just did the change and advised dealers to do the work if the customer insisted.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took off the clutch cover today and took a look at the nut. It wasn't loose to the touch and I couldn't find my 36mm socket so I didn't test it's tightness. I also loosened up the chain a bit to see if that will help. Now it's time to go on a ride for a few miles and see if I can still hear it.

Also, I'm thinking that I should probably go ahead and replace the clutch at some point. Is this option a good one?: http://www.newbonneville.com/html/clutch_kit.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I took off the clutch cover today and took a look at the nut. It wasn't loose to the touch and I couldn't find my 36mm socket so I didn't test it's tightness. I also loosened up the chain a bit to see if that will help. Now it's time to go on a ride for a few miles and see if I can still hear it.

Also, I'm thinking that I should probably go ahead and replace the clutch at some point. Is this option a good one?: http://www.newbonneville.com/html/clutch_kit.html
nope, those are the steels and frictions that sit in the basket. usually the slots in the basket become worn and big so the tabs on the discs fit lose. had an 80's honda 750 super sport with that problem. would only make noise at low idle when the basket and disck could rock back and forth with no load. under load the slop is taken up. any play in the driveline should be taken up under load. my guess is ping or knock. try a batch of high octane fuel. could be a build up of carbon on your head raising compression. maybe a spark advance problem......

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
nope, those are the steels and frictions that sit in the basket. usually the slots in the basket become worn and big so the tabs on the discs fit lose. had an 80's honda 750 super sport with that problem. would only make noise at low idle when the basket and disck could rock back and forth with no load. under load the slop is taken up. any play in the driveline should be taken up under load. my guess is ping or knock. try a batch of high octane fuel. could be a build up of carbon on your head raising compression. maybe a spark advance problem......
IT is not a wear deal its a mis design deal on the 01 his bike is getting old might have some clutch slip going when he gets on it that lets the plate knock with the weak basket.If you ever get one of these bikes to ping the motor will be toast in a min or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi luckyduck,i had a similiar noise to what you describe and was worried it something serious but i found that by giving the chain a good clean and oil and making sure it was lined up properly the noise disappeared,Seeing that your bike is 11 years old and if the chains original id consider getting a new one and sprockets bgefore doing anything else.tribon

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi luckyduck,i had a similiar noise to what you describe and was worried it something serious but i found that by giving the chain a good clean and oil and making sure it was lined up properly the noise disappeared,Seeing that your bike is 11 years old and if the chains original id consider getting a new one and sprockets bgefore doing anything else.tribon

Ha! What a coincidence. Before I saw your reply this is exactly what I did yesterday and the noise is gone! I just loosened up the chain a tad, then rechecked and double checked the rear wheel alignment, then cleaned with Motul and lubed with Motul.

Noise is gone!

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts