Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, we all remember our FIRST TIME. When and where did you drag your knee for the first time?

I'll go first. 2001 during my WMRC (Washington Motorcycle Racing Association) new racer orientation program. It wasn't on an actual track but an airport runway? (a long time ago, lol) set up with cones and a makeshift track and I was railing around with no idea what I was actually doing, but doing it quickly and accidentally dragged my knee! Scared the crap out of me but been doing it consistently since ;)

Feel free to add what you believe are the key components required to successfully drag a knee. Is it body position only or are there skills/techniques that can help.

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,753 Posts
Long legs . Have never touched down on the road , nor on track with a full sized bike . First knee down was racing minimoto sliding both tyres . Even then knee down was not necessary to win races , two regional championships before I got too old fat and stiff .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long legs . Have never touched down on the road , nor on track with a full sized bike . First knee down was racing minimoto sliding both tyres . Even then knee down was not necessary to win races , two regional championships before I got too old fat and stiff .
HA!! well I'm only 5"3 ish with short legs and I can drag a knee :p
Besides body position are there other riding techniques that have an effect on whether or not you get your knee down?

·
Registered
155 Posts
only time for me was on my sprint rs at harland park in topeka, ks... carousel :D

It was the session after snapping my footpeg relocation bracket after the peg scraped :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only time for me was on my sprint rs at harland park in topeka, ks... carousel :D

It was the session after snapping my footpeg relocation bracket after the peg scraped :D
Eek! Peg scraping indicates that you are at MAX lean angle and can cause a crash. What are some things that can cause you to scrape pegs before ever getting a knee down? What causes excess lean angle?

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
168 Posts
Do you think it does? What do you think makes someone a bad rider? What are the differences between a great rider and a not so great rider?
Personally I don't think it does. But I've been asked why my tires weren't worn out on the edges or why the foot peg feelers of my bike were still there so many times that it makes me wonder if being a good driver is determined by that.

Am I a good driver on a circuit? Probably not. But I value being a good driver on the public road, while still being able to enjoy my motorcycle.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The only time I dragged a knee was when I came off my KDX - took 5 hours on the operating table to put it back together again...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Do you think it does? What do you think makes someone a bad rider? What are the differences between a great rider and a not so great rider?
The really great riders make everything look easier at any age , knee dragging or not . Years ago a very young kid blew past me on a bike half the capacity of the one I was riding at Donnington Park . Even at 15 or 16 it showed that Casey Stoner is a great rider . It can be learnt , once achieved you have to maintain that skill , practice it , have it available for when you really need it .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The really great riders make everything look easier at any age , knee dragging or not . Years ago a very young kid blew past me on a bike half the capacity of the one I was riding at Donnington Park . Even at 15 or 16 it showed that Casey Stoner is a great rider . It can be learnt , once achieved you have to maintain that skill , practice it , have it available for when you really need it .
Good point, they make it LOOK easy. So how come they can make it look easy? I'm thinking that what you mean by that is that they ride smooth, effortless. Those are things that can be learnt. How do you become a SMOOTH rider? What do you think you might need to work on first in order to be one of those smooth, effortless riders? (regardless of whether you are getting your knee down or not?!)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Confidence , confidence , confidence . In your bike , tyres and yourself .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Confidence , confidence , confidence . In your bike , tyres and yourself .
Confidence is super important for sure! But is confidence just something you decide upon? Like you say to yourself, ok I'm going to be more confident in my bike, my tires and myself? Or is confidence something that is learned or built upon something else? How does one become more confident while riding?

·
Premium Member
2010 Triumph Speed Triple Special Edition
112 Posts
For me it was a small clover leaf interchange on a small 2 lane road. Scared me at first but it never happened again on the street...nor did I ever try. Later as my skills progressed and I got introduced to the track...almost any turn I wanted. but then the novelty wore off and so did buying knee pucks all the time so I rarely touch now and even then just barely.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Confidence is super important for sure! But is confidence just something you decide upon? Like you say to yourself, ok I'm going to be more confident in my bike, my tires and myself? Or is confidence something that is learned or built upon something else? How does one become more confident while riding?
I think it's both.
But don't become overconfident as that is a bad thing to do on a bike.
Ok, so if it's both, you say to yourself, be more confident....and then what. What kind of things can you learn that will help you be more confident? Does knowing and understanding riding techniques make you a more confident rider?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts