Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a rubber knee pads for my Thruxton. The original ones from Triumph. They come with 3M sticky tape on the back to attach to the tank.
The tank side is not flat and it does not stick well. Anybody had this problem? I guess I can use some glue, but I want to use one I can later easily remove
without damaging my tank if I decide to take them off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes they stick fine on the curve. I have taken them off and repositioned them using new 3M tape without any problem. Easy to get residue off tank not so easy to get off back of pads.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
The is a shelf life to the adhesive on the pads. Stompgrips uses 3M adhesive and they recommend to apply the pads within 1 year of manufacturing. They have a manufacture date on the back of their packaging. As Cap indicated, just get some new 3M tape and reapply. Using a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting will help to remove the old adhesive from the pad.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Suggest you clean the area where you want to apply the pads with rubbing alcohol. I would think those pads are not that old that you would have needed to replace the 3m two sided adhesive tape, but you should be able to replace it without a problem. When you finally stick them on, get it right the first time, you can't shift them around for misalignment. Don't use glue those things will never come off again without damaging the paint.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My riding buddy applied knee pads to his Thrux. They're nowhere near where his knees are while riding.

Also suggest applying pads with the pads and tank warm. The adhesive will stick far better, and the pads will more easily conform to compound curves. Also, clean the paint where the pads will go with rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth. This will remove wax and dirt for better adhesion. Paint cleaner is even better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mine did not stick well. I see the gap between one of the pads and tank. I used alcohol wipe to clean the tank before attaching. I guess as somebody suggested
they were too old and sticky tape dried out. I plan to buy some new sticky tape and try to re-attach.

I have not been able to fine sticky sheets big enough for whole pad. I am planning to try to use this https://amzn.to/2Xxs0yw unless there are better options.

P.S. It looks like a drop of glue could have done the job here, but I am not sure which glue to use. I do not want to to attach permanently to the tank, in case I want to remove the pads later.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2019 Street Twin when I bought it this year. I installed all my accessories myself and only my knee pads were troublesome. I initially installed 2 sets and had same issue even I tried with hair dryer. 3rd set no more problem. The reason, the first 2 set, my dealer had them since 2016~2017 and 3rd since this year. I mention it to my dealer and ordered the last set. I am really satisfied of the look.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I used this stuff on my T120 knee pads and it worked great.

The instructions say to put a thin layer on the pad, then place on the tank, then pull straight off, then place back on.

I learned earlier when using this stuff on the tank badges not to pull back off after placing. When you pull straight back off it creates a multitude of spiderweb-like glue threads between the tank and the pad and they go everywhere that you don't want them to go. Therefore, with the pads I just pressed them on and secured them with masking tape, being sure to press them again and again all around to be certain to close the gaps. I made a perimeter of masking tape from a measured drawing of the pad placement so I could put the pad in the exact place and not have to slide it around.

That was May 2019 and they are still tight.

Oh... I measured the bottom edge of the pad to the bottom of the tank, as well as, the back edge of the pad to the back end of the tank and made a drawing before I removed the pads to paint the tank. The pads came off with the careful use of a heat gun. The glue removed easily from the tank but the glue on the pad required some lacquer thinner and a lot of thumb pushing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Something else that I just remembered:

There are ribs on the backside of the pads with hollow spaces in between.

The top rib is a solid arc all the way around to the sides.

But in the center and bottom ribs and other pockets there is a drain gap to allow moisture to get out, if needed.

I was careful to leave those drains clear of glue so if water did happen to get in, there is a way for it to get out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts