Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to eliminate the "kink" in the Bonneville exhaust system? I see that the Bonneville SE comes stock without the kink. I wonder if that system would fit a regular Bonneville. Failing that, I suppose one could tack on a Thrux system, but again, I'm unsure whether it would fit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
616 Posts
What is the best way to eliminate the "kink" in the Bonneville exhaust system? I see that the Bonneville SE comes stock without the kink. I wonder if that system would fit a regular Bonneville. Failing that, I suppose one could tack on a Thrux system, but again, I'm unsure whether it would fit. Any suggestions?
Buy a Thruxton.

Sorry -- I had to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree that the "kink" is so butt fugly as to ruin an otherwise good looking bike.
Am currently waiting for Gengras Triumph in Ct. to get an SE model to take a good look-see.

Here's my '78 Bonne sporting Dunstall Decibells:

So far as the new bikes go, the Thruxton has my name on it. . . .

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sorry, thought this was about Ray Davies.
I guess "he really got you, he really got you, he really got you, oh yeah!"

As for the pipe kink, I'm not sure if the Thruxton system clears the regular Bonneville foot controls, I think I read on here that you'd need the Truxton rear sets. Maybe somebody could confirm either way.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hilts...Ive never seen an SE in person ,but Ive seen pics from both sides.One side seems to have the kink eliminated but the other side has an even worse kink.My initial reaction was 'What is THAT?"
keep looking for pics and you'll see what I mean.
I think Thrux headers WILL work on a regular bonnie,I could be wrong.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that Thruxton pipes will work, but maybe not with a center-stand. That's weird about the SE...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You can have a centerstand or keep the one you have (if you have one), the stops are different and have to be modified. There are a couple of good ideas on here for that, used one myself.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you want to stay with what Mr. T has to offer, then you will probably wind up with Thruxton headers and silencers OR one of the various configurations of Arrow systems that Mr. T sells for the twins.

If you don't mind shopping elsewhere, there are other manufacturers that make systems without the "kink" in the headers: Bubs, Raask, Specialty Spares (if they are still in business), D&D, Thunderbike, Zard, and a few others which I can't think of right now. You can go low, high, 2 into 2 or 2 into 1. Pricing is expensive and not all systems with similar pricing are similar in build quality.

If it is just looks (and it reads like that), I would suggest you consider having your headers and silencers ceramic coated in black--you'll probably never see the kink again.:D

I have had many people come up to me and comment on my bonnie--I have NEVER had anyone say anything about the "kink".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's how I got the kink out using original Dunstall Decibel silencers and adaptor pipes. I don't mind the kink and will probably go back to being kinky with some A65 style muffs. Anyone that wants a crack at these before they go on eBay can PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RedBird, I know that those manufacturers make silencers, but never knew they made the headers as well. I'll have to check them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts