Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! Do you know if there is any relation between the fact of having this alarm installed in my Legend and what I think is a too fast exhaustion of a gel battery? Even if I don´t leave the alarm activated, after a week without starting the battery, which is less than a year old, appears weak and the bike won´t start. Have you had any similar problem? Does the alarm ever have a consumption? I´ll appreciate your advice.
Emilio

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Denny, I´ll have it checked and anyway, I suppose that releasing the negative pole while the bike is sitting can be a partial solution.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Batteries have two modes of operation: charge and discharge. Whenever it's not charging, it's discharging either through external load or internal resistance.

If the battery voltage drops below 12.4 volts (about 75% charge) sulfation of the plates takes place and the storage capacity of the battery decreases.

Sulfation is cumulative and permanent so each time the voltage drops enough sulfation occurs and the battery capacity decreases which causes it to discharge faster and the sulfation starts sooner.

If you're only riding once a week and not using a trickle chager then your battery may have failed.

ALSO... Microprocessor-based electronic alarms have a continuous current drain on the battery. That will cause an additional drain on your battery and if the battery is weakening it will add to the problem.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well cleared up Jim, I´ll try at least to start the bike more often to have more charging modes. Many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts