Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! It's been a while. After messing around with a hub sizing issue with the Kineo factory for a year, they finally fixed it and I just mounted the front.

Here is what a 2000 TBS looks like with custom rims from Kineo. All the ladies seems to like it.

cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Those are some mean looking wheels. Props for staying he course, they look sweet as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

These are not budget friendly. Around $1500 per wheel USD. I had the trophy mag wheels on the bike and bent both rims from hitting a rut in the road over Mt St Helen's. Insurance covered the new wheels fortunately.

The great thing about these wheels other than the looks is that they are completely tubeless.

I did work closely with the manufacturer and put in the work to make sure these work flawlessly with the TBS setup. So they have the CAD drawings for the hub sizing if any Hinkley 900 owners want to upgrade. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since the two main features of the wheels are the spoke hooks and the black colour, the discs looks rather slab sided. Could you either use discs that have less meat to them, so they don't dominate the wheels, or else paint the inner part of the discs black ? Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes good point! It would be nice to showcase more of the wheel instead of the disks. I have no idea how / what would work with that set up to offer a smaller disk. I imaging it would take adding different brakes and mounting brackets etc. Seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even less meat - more cutout -maybe some holes on the support part, inboard of the braking surface, may help. Otherwise those discs with the wavy outer edge may take some of the slab-sided look away and make them appear lighter ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes good point! It would be nice to showcase more of the wheel instead of the disks. I have no idea how / what would work with that set up to offer a smaller disk. I imaging it would take adding different brakes and mounting brackets etc. Seems like a lot of work.

Speak to @magbhw he did some quality work with his rotors. Some pictures of his thunderbird on the link below

Photos of your Heavily Modded classics - Pics only - No comments

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=91405&share_tid=56428&share_pid=7895089&url=http://www.triumphrat.net/showthread.php?p=7895089&share_type=t

Zee
2000 triumph thunderbird sport
2015 bmw f700gs

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His bike looks pretty sick! I love what he did with it.

I could perhaps mask the disks and powder coat the inside area to black it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! It's been a while. After messing around with a hub sizing issue with the Kineo factory for a year, they finally fixed it and I just mounted the front.

Here is what a 2000 TBS looks like with custom rims from Kineo. All the ladies seems to like it.

cheers
Are your rims mat black or gloss black? Thank you

cheers
are your rims Matt black or gloss black? Also did you go with the 5.5 wide back wheel?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those wheels look great. You probably could punch it up a bit with alternate rotors as suggested. I’d try a cut out style that looks lighter but is the same size as to not have to reengineer the brakes.

went a similar route with custom wheels on stock hubs from Devon Wheel Works. I kind of wish I had spent the extra for tubeless but am very happy so far.

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one throwing substantial sums of money upgrading these great bikes. For a third of the price of a new bike, these triples can be made to look they just rolled off the production line. There is something to be said for having a bike you love and knowing you could ride 5,000 miles and not see another one anything like it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I freaking LOVE that color scheme! My yellow '99 is very cool also but the white/orange is even nicer. That's it. (I'd love to have those wheels but the price is a deal breaker for me....
As Billy Joel sang, "I love you just the way you are")

1 - 16 of 16 Posts