Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ran into abit of a snag on how to hook up my kill button. I have a boyer installed and it runs pretty good. What i need to know is where i hook up a kill button to this system. I have a kill button with only 1 wire going to it. When you push on the button it gets positive ground from the handle bars. Because of the boyer the coils are linked together so do i hook the wire to the positive or negitive side of the coil and to which one or do i hook it up to the boyer black box. Sorry to be getting long winded but i don't want to fry the boyer. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
794 Posts
Slimmer,

The normal kill switches have two wires. One comes from ignition switch (-12V), and the other (in a points-based setup) goes to the negative terminal of both coils. With the switch in the run position, -12V is supplied to the coils. In the stop position, no power is supplied to the coils, and they stop producing spark. Such a switch is also usable in a Boyer-based setup, where instead of power going to the coils, the kill switch provides or denies power to the Boyer, therefore stopping spark.

With your switch with one wire and ground, if you connect it to either coil negative, you'll most likely burn out the Boyer through over-current, or cook a coil. If you connect to the power input to the Boyer, you'll blow a fuse (it will probably stop the bike, but who wants to replace a fuse every time you stop your engine...)

Recommendation is to go for a two wire switch (isolated from ground), and hook it up in series with the power wire of the Boyer (the white wire).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts