Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you recommend a supplier of good kickstarter rubbers? The ones I am buying only seem to last a few weeks.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Can any of you recommend a supplier of good kickstarter rubbers? The ones I am buying only seem to last a few weeks.

Cheers,
Ian
Do a search on my user name going back a month or two. You'll find a similar inquiry on "rubber" along with replies. 8)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I don't usually use a rubber on the kickstarter because it seems like they're always either coming off or tearing. However, someone recently gave one that doesn't seem to work it's way off. Only been on there about a month so I don't know if it will be durable, but it definitely stays put on the kickstarter. All the ones I've ever used had the same sized holes at either end, but this one has a smaller diameter hole on the outboard side.

Not sure where it came from, but I do know that the semi-retired Triumph mechanic who gave it to me gets his parts through John Healy so that might be a hint.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
The ones I've used are either closed at one end or have a larger and smaller hole at each end. They along with the gearshift rubber are replaced at least once during the riding season.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chaps,

Not sure it is worth shipping one over from the US. The ones I have found in the UK so far are rather poor. They start to self-destruct after only a few weeks but I guess it is cheaper to keep a stock of them than import.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks Chaps,

Not sure it is worth shipping one over from the US. The ones I have found in the UK so far are rather poor. They start to self-destruct after only a few weeks but I guess it is cheaper to keep a stock of them than import.

Cheers,
Ian
Hi Ian,

Both of mine (Tiger and T100R) were UK sourced and both are standing up fine. I did check my records for where I got them, but I seem to have omitted that record. Ahem...

I think they were from Tricor Andy in Hereford - but don't quote me. Both are closed end. I put them on with a bit of WD40 and both spin on the shaft, so maybe that's a clue? They were only a few £ anyway, so they are a consumable item IMHO.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
i drilled and tapped the end of one kickstart pedal and bolted on a fender washer.

rubber hasn't come off in forty years.

doesn't keep them from falling to bits tho

heater hose works well
Oil line ( reinforced ) is my solution. : )

++++++++++ 1000 ^^^^^^^^^ 8))

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hi Boggie, I'd gone through several kicker lever rubbers in only 1 year. I found Taiwan made was most durable. Still none held up, or didn't slip off. Most split starting at the outside end. All wanted to slip off. I even tried bands of thin wire wound around it. No help.

Interesting I rode bike for 6 years with original from new rubber & it didn't slip off or split. However after 34 years of storage it deteriorated & split during storage.

Speedrattle's fender washer idea came to mind, however I wanted as original looking as possible. Obviously you can see the washer, but it's not very noticeable. I tried cutting & spreading a regular washer, but it couldn't take the spreading without too much distortion. I was looking through washer can & saw a large lock washer with ID about the same as shaft of pedal. I put in vise & spread it, starting with a tapered punch, then large pliers. Straightened washer as it distorted some, but not bad. Slipped it over pedal & squeezed it down with large pliers. I was figuring the washer needed larger OD, but has worked good. I've not touched the rubber or pushed it back since.

Used made in Taiwan rubber from Rabers. Has been on 4 years now. I just took photos today. For me the only thing that's worked. Will be a bit of fight to remove, I get that, but it's worked so good.

On a side note: The kicker pedal was hitting me in back of leg with feet down. Depends on how tall you are & where you like to set on seat if it bothers you or not. I only had bike a few months & decided to modify pedal, by grinding stop farther & drilling new detent for ball. So now it clears my leg fine. Only have to remove a small amount of metal, so doesn't really weaken pedal. Worked out good for me & looks stock if you didn't know it. For a show I leave it in the original position as that detent is still there.
Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Your idea of using the lock washer appears to be very good. It actually looks like it belongs there. I bought a bag of kick rubbers a few years back because they were very cheap. I don't have any problems with them slipping off, but I do have problems with them disintegrating very fast. One only lasted two weeks. I bought them at a British bike rally so I don't know where they were made, but I suspect China.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I bought a couple from TMS a few years ago and they’ve stood up well enough. Devilishly hard to put on. I like Kevin’s idea of the washer! RR

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For info: The ones from L.F. Williams are excellent quality. Very tough rubber: I left them in boiling water on the stove for 10 minutes and lubed the kickstarter end with liquid soap, and even then it was a bugger to fit, but once on it is really tough and much better than any other I have tried...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts