Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 t100r. When it is in 1st gear and go to take off sharply The kickstart lever rotates back on its own. It does not do it in neutral. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
if the kickstarter is not returning completely or weak spring tension is causing it to drop upon acceleration , the pawl (which is locked out in completely up position) will be dragging inside the layshaft low gear .

could also be the kickstarter stop plate is damaged or come loose . it holds the pawl down when the kickstarter is in the up position .

hth

cheers Woody

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it for a ride today. It only happens in first gear. If I take the side cover will I see whats wrong? Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
when you take the kickstarter in hand , can you push it up further ? is it not returning to fully up and /or being held there with reasonable spring tension ? if it's not then it might just be the spring which is accessable by removing the side cover . anything else you need to remove the gearbox which requires removing the primary cover dimantling the clutch and removing the main shat nut .

another thing i though of is it could be the layshaft needle bearing in the kickstart spindle going . you really need to deal with this problem before anymore damage is done .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kickstart does come back all the way. It doesnt rotate back when I hold it with my leg. Spring tension seems good but maybe not enough tension. I noticed when I put the bike in first gear the kickstart shaft moves out I will have to order gaskets before taking side cover off.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
think about ordering a service manual an parts book at the same time if you don't already have them .

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts