Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I as riding on the highway @ 85mph when my engine shut down... Luckily enough there weren't too many cars, I wasn't in a curve nor was I accelerating - so I managed to stop onto the side of the road.

Turns out the spring attached to my kickstand popped off without any apparent reason (no bump or mishap of any sorts). As I was downhill and my kickstand wouldn't lock into position anymore - my bike fell flat on its flank: broken rearview, broken clutch lever, scraped cover & exhaust...

I lifted it back up against a guardrail in order to attach the kickstand with a plastic clamp. Called my dealer this morning - let's see if Triumph assumes responsibility and accepts my claim. To be continued...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Shifting may have been affected

Hey! ALERT - !!

At 500 miles, my bike rolled off the kickstand on to the left side and broke the shift lever. It has never down-sifted properly again. It got better with time, but...

Make sure you check the action of the shifting before you let Triumph off the hook. (My issue was totally my fault, but the repair is too expensive and I'm just living with it). I miss about one out of 50 down-shifts, so it's not too bad - But it was better before it fell over. Just sayin'

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Hey! ALERT - !!

At 500 miles, my bike rolled off the kickstand on to the left side and broke the shift lever. It has never down-sifted properly again. It got better with time, but...

Make sure you check the action of the shifting before you let Triumph off the hook. (My issue was totally my fault, but the repair is too expensive and I'm just living with it). I miss about one out of 50 down-shifts, so it's not too bad - But it was better before it fell over. Just sayin'
The shifter shaft probably tweaked a bit.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm sure most here already do it, but a really good habit to be in is to make sure your bike is in first gear anytime the the side stand is in use.

I keep a short length of coiled baling wire taped to the inside of my T120's right side cover, just in case I lose the side stand spring, or the shoulder bolt breaks, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hopefully this did not happen to 1-sime, but a few of us had the bike fall on the left, the shift rod* gets pushed in, and the shifting suddenly ain't so great.

*actual names of these parts -
SELECTOR MECHANISM T1196666 $48.61
PIVOT PLATE T1198765 $7.15

The parts are too expensive but I imagine the labor is several hours...

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the bike fell for several reasons:
1. The kickstand was damaged when it unfolded @85mph...
2. The highway I was on was downhill.
3. The side of the road where I managed to stop was uneven.

Shifting into 1st probably wouldn't of helped in this case.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hopefully this did not happen to 1-sime, but a few of us had the bike fall on the left, the shift rod* gets pushed in, and the shifting suddenly ain't so great.
There was a thead a while back on this site about internal shifting mechanism damage due to a bike fall on the left side. From that I did two things: 1. made a vertical sawcut about halfway through the shift lever about 1/2" after the footpeg and I drilled two small holes at 90 degrees from each other through the inner end of the pegbolt and 2. spacer washers installed on the shift shaft between the shift lever and the engine case to fill the gap.

1. will help the peg or peg bolt to break off in the event of a fallover leaving enough lever to still shift. The intent is to not let the the shift shaft bend. 2. is intended to prevent the shift shaft from being pushed in to make internal damage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There was a thead a while back on this site about internal shifting mechanism damage due to a bike fall on the left side. From that I did two things: 1. made a vertical sawcut about halfway through the shift lever about 1/2" after the footpeg and I drilled two small holes at 90 degrees from each other through the inner end of the pegbolt and 2. spacer washers installed on the shift shaft between the shift lever and the engine case to fill the gap.

1. will help the peg or peg bolt to break off in the event of a fallover leaving enough lever to still shift. The intent is to not let the the shift shaft bend. 2. is intended to prevent the shift shaft from being pushed in to make internal damage.
Interesting. Could you please share pictures of this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If this pic does not show up then I'll put it on Photobucket. I don't know that the shift lever footpeg will break off as intended but all I can do is try. The magic word to describe this is "Frangible".

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a left turn I need to do a lot with a sensor-controlled light. The sensor almost never picks up my Bonnie, even after I added a big honkin magnet to my centerstand.

So I pulled up there for the first time this year a week or so ago, and didn't feel like breaking the law. I had read something from RevZilla awhile ago that said putting down the side stand over the sensor wire would usually trigger a light. So I decided to try it.

I completely forgot that putting down the sidestand while the bike was in gear would kill it. Until I put down the sidestand while I was in first with the clutch hauled in. Of course, right after the bike shut down my light changed to green, and the car behind me started forward.

I almost got rear ended while starting the bike. It pissed me off more than a little, especially since it was partially my fault. Luckily I didn't get hit, just honked at.

-Ed

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is a left turn I need to do a lot with a sensor-controlled light. The sensor almost never picks up my Bonnie, even after I added a big honkin magnet to my centerstand.

So I pulled up there for the first time this year a week or so ago, and didn't feel like breaking the law. I had read something from RevZilla awhile ago that said putting down the side stand over the sensor wire would usually trigger a light. So I decided to try it.

I completely forgot that putting down the sidestand while the bike was in gear would kill it. Until I put down the sidestand while I was in first with the clutch hauled in. Of course, right after the bike shut down my light changed to green, and the car behind me started forward.

I almost got rear ended while starting the bike. It pissed me off more than a little, especially since it was partially my fault. Luckily I didn't get hit, just honked at.

-Ed
Usually the only time you have sensor trouble is when there are no cars around you. If a car pulls up it will trigger the sensor - so no need to put the kickstand down when a car is present. :wink2:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Actually the bike fell for several reasons:
1. The kickstand was damaged when it unfolded @85mph...
2. The highway I was on was downhill.
3. The side of the road where I managed to stop was uneven.

Shifting into 1st probably wouldn't of helped in this case.
You always leave it in gear.....It's one of the first things you learn....and it's in every single motor cycle manual from every manufacturer. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts