Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking for any tips about getting the kick start cover back onto my T140E, 1980 Bonnie. I took it off to replace the quadrant following jamming problems. Didn't change the ratchet and pinion as they looked ok. Did a dry run and got it on with a bit of jiggling, but then found one of the gear change pinions and spring had 'popped out'. Also, I wound the kick start one and a half turns counter clockwise, but it didn't return to the 11 o'clock position.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have posted here before, got very good advice about rear brake bleeding (which has been a success), leaving just this and a carburretion problem (which I also got good advice about) being the only issues to get sorted before its back on the road.

Thanks
Apiarist1
(Arthur)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
The K/S quadrant and return spring should be orientated like this:

Tension the K/S lever One turn anticlockwise.
Offer the outer case to the inner case and turn the K/S lever a little more anticlockwise to clear the "stop".

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Like Caulky said - but also, when the cover is about 1/2" from home, lift the gearchange crossover shaft gently to roughly where you think it ought to sit (put the gear lever on, whether you have the cahincase fitted or not), so that when you push the cover that last bit home the tang will locate in the slot. The only way your quadrant plungers & springs could have got displaced is if you turned the shaft while it was in the lot but before the cover was home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts