Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read various threads about shutting down the motor. A few riders using the kick stand to shut down.

My 2007 T-100 does not shut down with the kick stand. Either the previous owner removed the switch or it is stuck open. Not even sure where it is located.

Should I even care ? Why would this feature be of any benefit ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Personally if my kick stand kill switch went "south" I wouldn't even worry about it. When traveling and using the tank bag I use the kick stand to shut down the bike. Most of the time, I use the kill switch.

Can't imagine it's an expensive fix if you really feel like you need one.

Karl

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Deploying your side stand should only stop the engine if you are in gear without the clutch lever pulled in at the time. If you've already put it in neutral, deploying the stand will not cut the engine. The failure mode of these switches tends to be that they stop the bike running.

Why not just turn it off with the key switch?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Deploying your side stand should only stop the engine if you are in gear without the clutch lever pulled in at the time. If you've already put it in neutral, deploying the stand will not cut the engine. The failure mode of these switches tends to be that they stop the bike running.

+1,I allways turn off with the key,why not??

Plasma.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
My non-functioning kickstand switch was fixed as part of this year's MOT. It's a safety issue, riding with the kickstand down is dangerous and the switch protects against part failure while riding (which I have experienced on another bike, not good)

Always switch off with the key, why would anyone do something else?

·
Registered
842 Posts
My non-functioning kickstand switch was fixed as part of this year's MOT. It's a safety issue, riding with the kickstand down is dangerous and the switch protects against part failure while riding (which I have experienced on another bike, not good)

Always switch off with the key, why would anyone do something else?
I shut off with the kill switch. Two reasons: it's easier because my thumbs right there and I don't have to lean forward for the key, but more importantly I like to kill the engine while I'm parking on the street just as a curtesy and with the key still turned my light and turn signal stay on. In NYC that's a big help since cabs and cyclists will come flying from every direction while you're trying to back it in between two cars.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
805 Posts
I turn my bike off with the kickstand. It's easier and I am going to put it down anyway. Eric, those are good considerations though. I'll keep that in mind for city street parking.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My non-functioning kickstand switch was fixed as part of this year's MOT...
Is this really a MOT issue? If so, is it a requirement under UK/EU law or is it a case of 'if fitted, it must work' - as was the case years ago with stop light switches and turn signals?

If the former, then in my opinion it seems to be yet another case of Big Brother GOVERNMENT intervening when personal responsibility should be the case in point.

Just my two-cents worth -- for what it's worth :)

·
Registered
161 Posts

For clarity (at least on my bike, 07 Bonnie Black), the side stand kills the engine while in gear and WITH the clutch lever pulled in.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
When I picked my new one up last month, as part of the "delivery inspection", the owner of the dealership specifically recommended using the key, not the switch or any other method to turn it off.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Simpleman, that is correct. Conversely, if the bike is in neutral, putting it into gear with the sidestand down will kill it as well. If the bike is in gear, the sidestand will kill it, regardless of what is happing with the clutch.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truly amazing to me that bikers survived for years without the government safety mandates.

Maybe just me growing up on bikes without them I some how survived.

If I start riding with the kick stand down it is time for me to sell the Bonnie !

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Is this really a MOT issue? If so, is it a requirement under UK/EU law or is it a case of 'if fitted, it must work' - as was the case years ago with stop light switches and turn signals?
I don't believe that there is any legal requirement to have a working side stand cut-out switch in the UK or that it is checked during an MOT if one is fitted. My MOT tester has certainly never tested mine.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I don't believe that there is any legal requirement to have a working side stand cut-out switch in the UK or that it is checked during an MOT if one is fitted. My MOT tester has certainly never tested mine.
According to page 14 of the latest VOSA motorcycle test manual, step 1 of the MOT is :

Sit on machine, check all controls, switches, horn, front suspension, forks, head bearings, handebars
While the sidestand switch is not itemised, it's a switch; all means all.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The switch prevents riding off with the kickstand down. Bikes did not used to have this feature, and riders crashed when they left the stand down, rode off, and then attempted a left hand turn. You'd think that the stand would retract with the first ground contact, but it doesn't always. I know this first hand.

An inoperative kick stand switch is a serious matter. Make certain that it's working by testing it from time to time, fixing it if necessary.

To test the switch, sit in the saddle, rock the bike upright, and attempt to start the motor with the stand down and the bike in gear. All you should get when you touch the start switch is silence. If the bike starts, the switch is bad.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
According to page 14 of the latest VOSA motorcycle test manual, step 1 of the MOT is :

While the sidestand switch is not itemised, it's a switch; all means all.
To be pedantic (and I am), the word "all" in that sentence refers solely to the word "controls" and not every item in the list (all handlebars???).

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
To be pedantic (and I am), the word "all" in that sentence refers solely to the word "controls" and not every item in the list (all handlebars???).
To be even more pedantic (and I am), nowhere does the word "some" appear - either with respect to switches or anything else.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I just wish we had inspections in Alabama. People ride and drive the most awful pieces of garbage to the point that they are a hazard to themselves and others.

I don't use the kill switch ever, even though it was recommended in my MSF course. Sometimes this gives me an issue when I trip it by mistake. It requuires me to stop and think after the minor panic attack.

I do use the sidestand and the key. As far as the dealer telling you to always use the key. Don't put a lot of stock in it. If you ride or stay on this site long enough you will not believe some of the crap the dealers will tell you.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
To be even more pedantic (and I am), nowhere does the word "some" appear - either with respect to switches or anything else.
To be even more pedantic, it is possible to have more than one handlebar; clipons are usually in sets of two, and both must be there. The word "all" properly includes all items, not just controls.

The sidestand switch, the kill switch, these are safety items. How did we survive without them? The answer there is the same as for most questions that involve "how did we survive before" things like seat belts, helmets, child safety seats, crib regulations, etc.; not everyone did.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
915 Posts
Removing the kick stand kill switch was one of the first things I did to my bile back in 2004. Absolutely no need for it if your brain is engaged.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts