Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the set-up...

I flushed my keyring the other day. It was meant to happen I guess. There is no way I could've done it on purpose, with such finesse.

So, I order a new key (blank) from my 'local' dealer. $13 and change. But, it has the little Triumph dealio on the grip/handle/fob, so it's like, totally worth it!

Anyhow, I go to the local key/safe shop to have it cut. No sweat. Then I walk outside to make sure it fits the ignition. Now normally, Murphy would have made my phone ring to distract me, and I would have ridden off into the sunset without checking it.

The key does not fit in the ignition. Not, 'doesn't work', but it won't even go in the keyhole. I go in, ask the guy to buff the nose of the key, thinking maybe it is too sharp to fit. Doesn't work. I go in and ask the guy what is different, since the two keys look exactly the same to me.

He determines the key is not milled correctly. He grabs a blank of the same series off the wall, and we walk outside. His uncut blank fits perfectly.

So, he pulls out a black fob'd version of the same series (since the Blue one he had didn't do it for me) and copied my key. Again.

The second attempt works like it was made for it. Key and labor was $4.64. But OMG!, it doesn't have 'Triumph' on it! Bummer!

A couple lessons, here.

First, don't lose your key.

Second, make really sure you have a second key. The key is not coded, and there is no way to make another without an 'original'. Replacement locksets are not even close to cheap. It is also a good idea to know where it is. Lost in a drawer somewhere doesn't make it any easier for the spouse to find it.

Third, if you absolutely have to have a 'Triumph' key, make sure you try the blank in your ignition (or gas cap) before you have it cut. The lock series used by Triumph is used by a lot of other Manufacturers, so the key series is readily available, probably even at the big Box stores and WallyWorld, etc.

I doubt the miscut blank is a widespread problem, but Murphy does get around.

Of course, for those of us with the pre-'05 models, the same advice above applies to the panniers, as they use a different key than the ignition.

Hope this helps!

pr

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
pushr0d,

not wanting to start a huge debate over this but, I'm pretty sure the keys are coded. It would be the little rubber thing w/ numbers on it that held the two keys together at the time of purchase.

at least thats what I was told. but if your not the original owner you probably were never told about it.

anyway glad you got your issues sorted out.

now how did you flush your keys?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Okay, here's the set-up...

I flushed my keyring the other day. It was meant to happen I guess. There is no way I could've done it on purpose, with such finesse.

So, I order a new key (blank) from my 'local' dealer. $13 and change. But, it has the little Triumph dealio on the grip/handle/fob, so it's like, totally worth it!

Anyhow, I go to the local key/safe shop to have it cut. No sweat. Then I walk outside to make sure it fits the ignition. Now normally, Murphy would have made my phone ring to distract me, and I would have ridden off into the sunset without checking it.

The key does not fit in the ignition. Not, 'doesn't work', but it won't even go in the keyhole. I go in, ask the guy to buff the nose of the key, thinking maybe it is too sharp to fit. Doesn't work. I go in and ask the guy what is different, since the two keys look exactly the same to me.

He determines the key is not milled correctly. He grabs a blank of the same series off the wall, and we walk outside. His uncut blank fits perfectly.

So, he pulls out a black fob'd version of the same series (since the Blue one he had didn't do it for me) and copied my key. Again.

The second attempt works like it was made for it. Key and labor was $4.64. But OMG!, it doesn't have 'Triumph' on it! Bummer!

A couple lessons, here.

First, don't lose your key.

Second, make really sure you have a second key. The key is not coded, and there is no way to make another without an 'original'. Replacement locksets are not even close to cheap. It is also a good idea to know where it is. Lost in a drawer somewhere doesn't make it any easier for the spouse to find it.

Third, if you absolutely have to have a 'Triumph' key, make sure you try the blank in your ignition (or gas cap) before you have it cut. The lock series used by Triumph is used by a lot of other Manufacturers, so the key series is readily available, probably even at the big Box stores and WallyWorld, etc.

I doubt the miscut blank is a widespread problem, but Murphy does get around.

Of course, for those of us with the pre-'05 models, the same advice above applies to the panniers, as they use a different key than the ignition.

Hope this helps!

pr

This is the key blank I'm using for a duplicate key. An Aprilia/Bimoto key. I've used it in both my '03 and '08 Sprint. And I got it at my local locksmith.

http://www.allmotorcyclekeys.com/proddetail.php?prod=ZD22RBP

·
Registered
489 Posts
The ignition keys are coded and can be ordered from triumph already cut, but it is expensive.

On pre-'05s the saddlebag keys are not coded and cannot be cut by VIN, but most locksmiths can cut a key to fit your lock cylinders if you can get one out of an unlocked saddlebag and bring it in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The keys (at least on the 05+) can be ordered from a Triumph dealer via the VIN. The key also has a code that you would get if you are the original owner. I too have had a key replaced. If you order via the VIN, it will take a little while. I obtained an extra key "blank" via the dealer. As you have found out, there are 2 (maybe more??) different key "blanks" that are used. I found this out from my dealer. Both look very similar, but as you said, indeed different. I lucked out, because he had a key blank on hand that somebody ordered but never picked up. Before I bought it, he said we needed to make sure it was the right blank--bingo it was. A local locksmith copied the key from one of my originals.

Kev

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the adventure continues...

Talked to the Dealership, and it turns out that - SURPRISE! - the application of the key depends on the VIN.

My VIN ends with 172XXX, and apparently takes a key different than the two I was sent. Sorry, but I left the Triumph part number at home. IIRC, it ended with 257.

Air_Bob, the proper key blank I got from the key/lock shop is a ZD24RDR. So apparently our bikes do not use the same key.

If I got a code blank from the Dealer when I bought the bike, I sure don't remember it. 'Course, that was 5-1/2 years ago. Doesn't matter though, unless you manage to lose both originals. Then you're talking BIG MONEY/Long time.

I guess the only thing to add is that if you do have copies made, use the copy and keep the original safe.

Again, HTH!

(Kubbie, the event was just mind-blowing! The keyring didn't jingle or touch porcelain until it hit the vortex. And it was an industrial-strength flushometer.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts