Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
DeCosse,

Nice work! Enjoyed Part 2, glad to see your developing a replacement. Sorry if this is a repetitive question, but would this work with a '99 T-Bird, and if so, will you be selling this as a kit as well?

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I guess officially this next one is V3.5 :D

Hence thread title changed to Part Trois (et demi!) :D

The through-hole board was a little busy to get it shoe-horned into such a small area.
So I decided to re-design with Surface-Mount components.
I have actually improved performance in the process also - now it has dual drivers for the Turn Signals (separate one for each side) and all the Driver devices are now short-circuit protected which is a real bonus feature.
It utilizes some really sweet MOSFET drivers that are actually designed for the automotive market (hence the built in short-circuit protection)
But functionally, from the 'black box' perspective, is the same, regarding the hands-free operation and 'set' via the clutch lever.

This one is going on a Rocket3.

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Keyless Ignition - Part Trois!

Functionality is essentially the same operationally from a 'black box' perspective
- there are a few nice advantages in
a) the size - the complete controller is only about 3" x 2" x 3/4" - so takes up a lot less room than the big Sombra box.
b) The Remote has better power-saving circuitry - only flashes when it's in proximity of the controller and turns off again once ignition is energized.
c) the output devices now have short-circuit protection.
d) I like the remote battery preserve control better - no need to 'shake' to re-awaken; the latest one automatically shuts off/on when out-of/in range of transmitter - vs timer/motion accelerometer of the Sombra

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Keyless Ignition - Part Trois!

... No problems at all .,.

I have a Sombra-based system (like yours NT & DG) on an active-duty working police bike that has seen almost daily duty with multiple frequent starts throughout the day for about 18 mos now - so reliability at least of that system shouldn't be in question

The V3.5 has some nice designed-in elements but doesn't yet have such extensive field reliability data (although I'm confident will be just as solid)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow! That is something else. Nice work.

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And one more enhancement - I can now add an immobilizer into the equation
That can be optional feature as desired.

If attempted hot wire of the ignition circuit takes place, the relay will energize and open the circuit unless the Remote is within the active range. So replicates the OEM Alarm system in this capability - except of course it disarms hands-free as you approach, no button to press (the only thing missing is the noise-maker - no loss there IMO!!!)
Indeed even if the key is used, the immobilizer will still kick in unless the remote is also present.
There is no risk of the immobilizer coming on when riding - the system uses a normally-closed (unenergized) relay for normal operation; as before the remote goes into 'sleep' mode once ignition turned on, so does not rely on communication between remote & controller once the ignition has been turned on legitimately (i.e. with the remote in range initially)

This extra feature does not add any additional connections to be made to the bike - still essentially same as the original hook-up (although the intermediate connectors are slightly larger as require more positions); but the additional feature is all self-contained within confines of the kit in how it interfaces to the bike i.e. through the alarm connector and the 6 Posi-Taps.
It adds slightly to the size of the relay block of course but not prohibitively

This one is a Rocket3 Kit (with Immobilizer) - the Rocket Alarm connector is under the tank so needs an extender harness (same with OEM Alarm)

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is amazing.

How do you know how to do all of this?! What job title lends itself to "I can do all of the work on a motorcycle?"

·
Premium Member
8,957 Posts
The Scotsman is a genuine electrical wizard. He makes electrons bend to his will with just his mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have this kit installed on the triple.

Never missed a beat since the installation.

Ken is fantastic to deal with as well. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from again if i needed to.

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
^^^ Thanks Wullie!
(Wullie actually bought the previous version V2 from my own bike, which I sold through the TRat classifieds)

Just built myself a little Test Module/Simulator - makes it much easier for testing than the rats nest of wires, switches and lamps I was using previously! :D

Recognize in most of the video we are looking at the Test Module which of course is NOT part of the kit.
The video helps to illustrate how the system works, only using the OEM bike switches for operation.
The 'Ready' LED on the bike is actually the OEM alarm LED in the instruments.
And there is no additional 'ignition' indicator - it is obvious when the ignition turns on, same as if you just turned the key.

Sorry - got a bit dyslexic in the audio at the end of the video, transposing 'armed' and 'disarmed'
Just to clarify, the Ready (or dis-armed) state is indicated by the Green LED being on.
System DISARMS automatically (becomes 'Ready') when you approach the bike and LED is ON;
As you walk away from the bike, the system automatically ARMS or 'Not Ready i.e. LED is OFF)

And just to be clear, normally you do not have to touch the remote - I'm only using the manual button so I can operate it directly at the controller, so I don't have to walk away with it while filming; normally it just remains in your pocket and all works purely off the detector; range is about 5m and as you walk towards bike, you will see the turns flash and when you get to it the 'Ready' LED will be on; then all you have to do is set the Kill to 'Run', pull the clutch, start and go. Remote never leaves your pocket.
Similarly, shut bike down with the Kill switch (I typically immediately set it back to 'Run' after bike is off), then simply walk away and it will re-arm itself

·
Premium Member
8,957 Posts
Wow. That looks slick and I'm almost tempted to ask you to PM me about purchase/installation details. My tail section is just about stuffed full of Stebel horn compressor and other miscellaneous kit, but I might be able to find a spot for it, if installation is idiot resistant - nothing is ever completely idiot proof. :eek:

And here I thought your screen name was a nod to some distant heritage. Hearing your voice for the first time I realize how wrong I was. You almost need English subtitles! :D

·
Premium Member
8,957 Posts
Having seen your work, I don't believe that for a second! ;D

On the other hand, I've been using keys in cars for almost 40 years and in bikes for 30+, so I'd probably feel weird if I didn't need a key for either.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
22,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You flatter me, (but thank-you!) however on that one I really am at impasse.
It's because the key-code is tied into the CANBUS comms to the ECU itself.
With autos, you can easily buy immobilizer bypass modules for their systems - but not aware of anything that works with the Triumph (as yet anyway).

21 - 40 of 64 Posts