Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone used the Kellerman Micro 1000 signals that are NON LED ?

i just got a set and one of the two, used this weird form of wiring that i have NEVER seen in my life before; looks like led thread instaed of copper.

The problem is that the weird wire one doent work properly, but the one that had the copper wiring, blinks fine.

I tested both signals on both sides, so im not just making this up.....these are the ones im talking about:

PS: I sent the one with the odd wire back to the distributor, and they sent me a new one....with the SAME WIRES!!!! :mad: they said they tested it and it worked. We'll see tonight.

·
Super Moderator
21,256 Posts
..... used this weird form of wiring that i have NEVER seen in my life before; looks like led thread instaed of copper ....
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here - that the conductor wire is silver instead of copper? That should not affect anything.

To test your light, just touch the two wires to your battery - just in case you have an LED version by mistake, try with the wires connected both ways (i.e. reverse the polarity)
If the light works in both polarities then it is a lamp - also if it still doesn't work at the connection point after testing the lamp itself is good, you probably have a different issue associated with the wiring/connection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The conductor is a different material, it is NOT copper.

i did test both wire connections with the 1 signal that has copper wiring, and both right and left side connections work fine. But with the other material signal, the bulb does not flash.

This is what happens when the different material signal is wired and on the bike:

1) Put Key in ignition
2) start bike up
3) Signal remains lit
4) put on blinker
5) signal does not blink - it remains lit constantly

As opposed to the one with the copper wire that does this:

1) Put Key in ignition
2) start bike up
3) Signal is off
4) put on blinker
5) signal blinks

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have them and they don't need large gauge wire to work properly. I think that you don't have them wired correctly. The black is ground and the gray is positive. What way did you connect them to the plugs? I cut the male ends off of the stock signals, and soldered the wires from the signals to them, so they plug right in. I used resistors in parallel to maintain the blink rate. Others, including Decosse, have relays that have the correct impedence. The signals will work with the wires you got. You just have to figure out where the connection is bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take pictures tonight so you guys see that im not on crack...lol

this is not the first time that i've done this......i've changed at least 5 sets of signals, on each of my bikes. two wires go to each signal, 1 ground, 1 positive. strip, connect, solder. Bingo.

·
Registered
440 Posts
... sounds like you wired eveything right. And have done this before. AND that there is a problem with either the unit or the wiring.

But as already mentioned did you address to LED load issue? Did you also:
a) wire in resisitors, or b) change-out the stock flasher unit with one designed to equalized the LED load?

(I'd go with replacing the flasher unit - easier, better).

EDIT: MY BAD - you have the non-LED versions. DOH! You're screwed. (sorry)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had the Kellermann micro 1000 indicators on my 2012 Speed Triple for yrs now.
Love them! Have only replaced 1 bulb since day 1.
Super sexy and Bright!! Quality German made product.

Have had zero problems installing. I didnt give the wire material much thought.
My only obstacle was sourcing the O.E.M style connectors as the signal ends come bare.
Parts needed:
8x Molex Female 2.36x22mm Crimp .093" Pin (This is the Female Pin Only) as you can reuse the original plastic (Plug) from the original indicators.
It helps to have a pin extractor,but any tiny instrument long enough to bend back the holding tabs will work.
Molex crimper tool.
I'd recommend the PA-09 tool. its well worth it at around $45. I'm sure a cheapy will work, just not as cleanly or as well.
Therefore purchase extra pins, as you may make a mess of the first few .
Triumph LED indicator relay A9830046 required to correct flash rate.
It is 60sec direct plug in install. Unlike older models.

Hope this help someone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts