Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some Kellerman's this weekend on my bonneville. I got them for Christmas and have been a little reluctant to start the install because of all the issues I've heard about the flasher, and idiot lights.

I got a flasher from superbright LEDS (CF13GL-02) and the WLED-G6 bulb (as well as a red 74 xhp and green 74xhp for the oil and neutral idiot lights).

Idiot light installation is pretty easy, i pried the covers off the instrument panel with my fingernails. There is a two inch long rubber tube that holds the lights, i just pried that up and pulled it out. It is slotted on one side so that it rolls back pretty easily. I popped out the light bulbs and put in the LEDs for the Neutral and Oil lights.

The G6 bulb is bigger than the stock bulb and needed some work, this took me about a minute.

I bent the metal connectors up, so that they were 90° to the stem of the bulb (note: its the type of metal that will fatigue easily so you want to make as few bends as possible). I then dremmeled each side until i was pretty close to the metal stalks incased inside the bulb, then i slowly slowly dremelled until they were no longer encased the plastic. I then bent them out and then continued to dremel the base until it was more or less the same width as the standard bonneville bulb. I bent the metal connectors into the same sort of 'look' as the original bulb had and then placed it into the socket. It fit pretty good first try. I stretched the rubber boot up a bit so that it naturally will put a little extra pressure on the bulb pushing it into its socket. The head of the G6 is larger than the stock bulb, but doesnt cause any issues. I waved the little boot around to see if i could get the G6 to pop out of the socket, but it stayed no problemo.

The G6 is pretty bright, I am thinking that going for a smaller bulb might not be a bad idea. It will leave spots in front of your eyes if you look right at it.

The kellermans look great. They made the front of my bike look a lot 'smaller' cleaner and less cluttered. I like the look a lot. Barely even notice that they are there, and the lights themselves are just as bright as the stock signal lights.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Perhaps you didn't see the DIY I put together or maybe you did and decided on a different approach.
If going with the WLED G6 for the turn indicator which I agree is too bright, I believe it is best to solder leads to it and cut off the bottom of the socket...covered in the DIY:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/107830-indicator-led-installation-diy.html

Reason being is the WLED6 is really too big for the socket and the rubber if anything will want to spit it out over time.
The perfect solution and really not much trouble is to use the polarized #74 Tri Power Green with two cheap rectifier diodes. The color and light intensity is now perfect. You have the option of either soldering it in...what I did...or simple plug and play being mindful of the polarity of all #74's.
If you go back in...my most recent findings...as I didn't like the laser quality of WLED6 even though far superior to the weak incadescent lamps used from the factory that are very hard to see on sunny days. This is one of the best mods I have made to my bike as simple as it is....as one uses the turn signals constantly when riding.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did indeed read your guide. I think I read everyone I could find where anyone even looked at their turn signals.

I was a bit intimidated by your guide as I do not have a soldering iron, or soldering how-to. Which I must admit I would like to learn, I just didnt want to get my bonnie to an unusable state and be stuck while waiting to figure out how to do something.

I decided that enough people had fair luck with just filing and popping in the G6 that I would give it a go, and voila, it worked quite well. I can't see that light ever coming out of the socket.

Perhaps in the winter I will get a less bright LED to try it out, as the G6 is really bright.

Now i'm working on my luggage frames from Norman Hyde, the ones that take GIVI monokey luggage. I need to relocate the rear turnsignals to give enough clearance to the panniers.

I am thinking about using the now surplus front signals I have from the above mod, and then removing the chrome shiny part from the rear signals and then plugging into the wire there, that way i can easily change from external tailights on my pannier frames, and original taillights. This might not make all that much sense - too much coffee this morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts