Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the carb on my TR7V Tiger ('73). The elder statesmen in my neck of the woods seem to prefer Mikuni, so I am inclined to lean that way. Just wondering how Keihin stacks up for performance, maintenance and reliability. All feedback is much appreciated...

Regards,

J:cool:

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi El Tajon,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing is wrong per se, I actually have a handfull of Amal carbs for the bike....I recall having issues with them when I had my Daytona. This is a single carb bike, I know a lot of folks upgrade to the Mikuni for reliablity and such. I was just wondering if the Khein was a worthwhile upgrade also, as I can get a good deal on a new one.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jon,

Nothing wrong with a Mik or Keihi carb though I only sell Miks.

I'm told the Amal Mk 2 is a good carb too but no first hand experience.

The Amal carb is a good carb because it's simple. Its shortcomings are normally owner related but they do wear, that part is repairable for a price. I don't like them because I don't like the smell of gasoline on my hands or bike after they have been "tickled". There is a long "tickler" available but fuel still leaks out. Just one of my "things".

Many on this, and the BI list, think any derivation from stock is a sacrilege but hey, it's their bike so they can complain about the problems until the cows come home.

Me, I ride. My '73 Bonni is not stock and it starts on the first kick hot or cold, gets good fuel mileage, goes pretty fast for a period pushrod twin and the lights work, ALL the time. Neither of my other two vintage Triumphs are stock either. Even my Speed Four isn't. :p

Back to your question. If you do go the modern carb route, you will need some extra jets to assist in the tuning. You may see some improvement in performance but it would only be measurable on a dyno, unless your butt is calibrated. :D

Spring is approaching. Get that thing on the pavement and ride. :motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I also lack a desire to smell of gasoline... :cool:..

Apart from that, Pazon ignition and Ikon shocks, it will be a stock bike. By the way, I checked out your site, you have some real beauties there!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JRC....I have seen ads for those, but didn't realize they were for Triumphs as well. I'll look into that, Thanks!

Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts