Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took about two months, but I finally finished the re-jetting project on my 98 Trident. I removed the carbs and sent them to a guy I found online who does ultrasonic carb cleaning. $50 + shipping and the carbs came back looking pretty much like new, so I was satisfied. I used matt.speedtriple's suggested jet sizes, so for my setup with a D&D exhaust and K&N filter in the stock air box I used 42 pilot jets, 140 mains and two 0.5mm shims. All parts were bought from Sudco, 4 pilot jets cost $18.68, 4 main jets cost $18.68 and a package of 12 shims cost $4.20. I also did something I have wanted to do every time I've removed and reinstalled my airbox, I cut the back side in half on my bandsaw and made two brackets so I can install the rear section of the airbox one side at a time. My thought: a small air leak on the back side of the airbox isn't such a big deal, the air filter will regulate what makes it to the carbs based on the vacuum being created. We'll see...

Since re-jetting, the bike has been behaving beautifully. I just got back from a 750 mile weekend on the twisty roads in the mountains of Vermont and the bike handled like a dream. Smooth, hard acceleration from idle to 9000 RPMs with no soft spots. I did a few 60 MPH to 120 MPH bursts and she pulled like a locomotive. Engine braking around corners was smooth with no popping and I also did a little head to head racing against my brother on his CB1100R and was able to keep up with him until about 100-110MPH when his fairing gave him the edge.

Attached are a few pics: the carbs before and after the ultrasonic cleaning, old and new pilot jets, and my little airbox brackets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Hi,

Can you post the contact info for the ultrasonic cleaning?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts