Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I want to do an overhaul of the carbs on my 99 legend as there is a lot of hesitation and since the bike is sitting in storage for the winter I thought i could give it some TLC :)

Is there a card rebuild kit available that will come with all the necessary parts I will need to replace to bring the carb to original specs?

If there is, where can I find it?

Aside from the haynes service manual I have, are there any other pdfs, tutorials on the net I can follow that could help me with the task?

any help is greatly appreciated!

cheers

deniz

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You might find the exploded parts diagram on bikebandit.com useful. IIRC you can right-click > save-picture-as & keep it for reference.

I woudn't worry too much about a rebuild kit. Don't know if there's even one available, but unless your bike's done a lot of miles you likely won't need anything unless it's obviously u/s. The Keihins seem not to wear much. Parts from Triumph are pricey.

Really just cleaning & checking float heights should be all that's needed. I clean thru' the jets in fuel bath using various sizes/combinations of copper electrical wire strands. Copper will move small specs of crud but, being soft, won't cause abrasions.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Couple of other things....

The throttle cable nipple at the carb end is very difficult to remove/refit without overbending & splitting the inner cable strands. The latter causes the cable to fail prematurely at this point. (The most useful spare part to carry imo.) I usually just slide the carbs out to the right without taking the cable off & drop them on a suitably placed bench/workmate or such.

Note there's a small 'duckbill' fuel filter in the tube where fuel hose connects to the carbs. Worth pulling out & cleaning.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I learned from Carb Parts Warehouse when I contacted them about a kit that CVT Carbs such as the Mikunis and Keihins are considered OEM products. You therefore cannot buy a rebuild kit for them for some reason - have to buy the parts from the factory dealer, or Bike Bandit, and a few bits from Sudco.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts