Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing al the fuel and vacuum lines on my 98 Trident and, whilst I am at it, stripping the carbs down and giving them an overhaul. It seems like a reasonable little winter project! Can you get a kit for the carbs, or is it a matter of finding the parts as seperate items? I am UK based, if that matters.

Enjoying my bike, it is a minter with only 12400 miles on it from new. I expect it has been sitting idele for periods over the past 10 years and, a lthough it runs well I think it could be a bit more willing. Any info about the kit or refurb generally would be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IF you feel you must strip the carbs best replace the airfilter at the same time.
To remove carbs and to replace them is challenging and painfull on the nuckles .
If you think they are gummed up you could try running the bike on
REDEX for a bit then draining the carbs to see if any muck comes out. It might save you a lot of hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
If it runs fine then to perk it up a bit bung a 45 tooth rear sprocket on it...that adds willing ;-)

When was the last service done... & what was done ?

You could start by draining the float bowls and seeing what comes out..? is the inside of the tank rusty ?

Sometimes if the bike doesn't seem willing enough it could be a dragging rear brake (or front for that matter)...little things like plug condition and carb balance can make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I "went through" my Keihins after about 8 years and 44,000 miles when I rejetted. About all that I did was clean a silty deposit out of the bowls, increase the jet sizes to 125-120-125, drill the covers from over the fuel screws and turn them out about 2 1/2 turns, and serviced the air filter and balanced the carbs. The only other parts that I've given my fuel system is a throttle cable and a carburetor boot.

Where I live I've lowered my air filter service interval to 10,000 miles. I ride in dusty air a lot unlike our British friends who get to ride in wet air. The 26,000 service interval is just too long for a U.S. bike.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I "went through" my Keihins after about 8 years and 44,000 miles when I rejetted. About all that I did was clean a silty deposit out of the bowls, increase the jet sizes to 125-120-125, drill the covers from over the fuel screws and turn them out about 2 1/2 turns, and serviced the air filter and balanced the carbs. The only other parts that I've given my fuel system is a throttle cable and a carburetor boot.

Where I live I've lowered my air filter service interval to 10,000 miles. I ride in dusty air a lot unlike our British friends who get to ride in wet air. The 26,000 service interval is just too long for a U.S. bike.
Lol...oh yeah the air is pretty wet here at the moment, just call me Noah !!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps a decent service might be all that is required. It has been serviced by a reputable dealer in the past, but at the milegae intervals, which did not ome up with any regularity as it has only done an average of 1000 miles a year from new (until I got it). I may be being a bit unfair on it as I ride my other bike one day and the triumph the next. As the other bike is an Aprilia, which is essentially a sports bike, the Triumph is always going to feel a bit less urgent, by comparison. It is not slow though!

I think the carbs might need balancing and I will try flushing them. I am not up for doing work for the sake of it and their are other things that I might fiddle with first - like the brakes. I intend to ride the bike to Spain next year so my thoughts are turning to preparing it for the trip. So much to think about - like luggage, seat comfort, brakes, scottolier etc, but there are a few winter months to do it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts