Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must find some carb kits for the 36mm Keihins on my '03 Thunderbird Sport. I'm in Canada, does anyone have any clues where to source these? Also, I bought a set of gaiters for the fork. I guess it's a bear to get the headlight ears off the stanchions, so I'll probably need to renew the parts inside the headlight ears. Where can these parts be found? Any alternatives to the stock parts that anyone has used? Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend! Gordo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Gordo, I ordered OEM headlight tube rubbers from one of the online dealers (Bike Bandit) - about 5 bucks each. I'm sure they will also turn to mush in the next 10 or 15 years. :frown2:

Regarding the carb kits, I didn't use any for my rebuild. I ordered new float valves and bowl rubber oring gaskets from Sprint Mfg. But they should be available online from ebay or the like.

Here is a good thread regarding Keihin rebuilding with oring information that should get you going:

https://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/561586-keihin-carb-rack-dis-assembly-and-clean.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
T1241077 KIT, FLOAT VALVE 10,50$ x3
T1241036 SEAL, FLOAT BOWL 8,50$ x3
T1241013 T piece 10,50$ x1
T1241014 connector 12$ x1
Those are the main parts that you need to change in your Keihin carburetors after almost 20 years of using.

I ordered those parts in Triumph dealership, I didn’t want to risk fuel leak with aftermarket parts. It’s not the best area to be cheap 🙂
Yes I know that they may work but I don’t want them. 😉
Later people are writing that those carbureted motorcycles are BS... ;D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! I definitely want to get the fuel rail O-rings from Triumph, and the headlight grommets from Bike Bandit. The float bowl gaskets I'll shop around for. Thanks again; Gordo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BWM; My bike is an Orange '03 like yours. Do you know how many teeth are on the front sprocket? I think I want one more tooth than what was on Buddy's Y2K White TBS... I think I'll need an 18T on the front. He gives me hell about this issue, but I just need one more tooth, I don't care!

·
Registered
130 Posts
BWM; My bike is an Orange '03 like yours. Do you know how many teeth are on the front sprocket? I think I want one more tooth than what was on Buddy's Y2K White TBS... I think I'll need an 18T on the front. He gives me hell about this issue, but I just need one more tooth, I don't care!
I have a 2004 TBS. First chain/sprocket change I went with 19/43. I found the vibration decreased a lot at all speeds. One thing that struck me is it's like having a 9 speed transmission, since you can gear down to 3rd and certainly 4th at 70 or 80mph, and cruise in 4th to 6th and all highway speeds. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TBirdVI; Was the sprocket switchover arduous on account of the clutch slave cyl. etc? Were there other incidental seals in the area that you changed because they were exposed? My buddy would kick my a** if I were to add 2 teeth! And I wouldn't want to "blunt" its snap in the twisties where I live. I'll just get a little more fuel range out of it and relax it some on the turnpike. You're in my area, so I hope we meet sometime. Have you been to Nelson Rat Raid?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Old fork seals fit the headlight tubes , or just cheap new ones
This is very clever!!! I noticed the other day these rubber bits on my TBS are turning to mush again.

It's been quite some time since I replaced them.... I'll be giving this a try! :wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts