Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 3 bikes have been Stabilized at least once already this year, in prep for 3-4 months of put up time. And all will need it again before 'winter' hits. Took the Stabilized Kaw out on Sat, ran out a tank. Same with the T100 yesterday. Old Beemer has been re- prepped. All need fresh oil, but that can wait until end of Dec.

Who's complaining? I'll keep pouring Stabil in the bikes thru March if it has anything to do with keeping the snow and salted highways at bay!

Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bob, sorry to see you've had to put them up for the winter... Spring will come soon! I can't say I miss it though.

Kurt
(formerly of Akron, OH)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kurt - the weather here does wear me out. My plan is to sell my home in Hudson, OH, and move south .... not as fall south as Florida or sw as far as Texas or Arizona, but to North or South Carolina. I think the climate plus the great roads like the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway plus several others I've ridden would make it seem like I'd died and gone to heaven! After living in the MidWest for the past 30 years, I could tolerate what you folks in NC refer to as winter. As for spring, summer, and fall, well......

I do envy you snowbirds who've been able to make the move.

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have put the bonny black in storage, but left the 1969 Daytona in the garage, and glad I did with all the warm weather so far.

I keep trying to talk the wife into moving to Tennessee,
like around paris. Low cost of living, I could buy 2 houses
and rent one out, and get a ***** job and do well.
Mild climate, space, low taxes, nice roads, what more could you want?

Brett

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Gee Bob, while you were putting your bikes up, I was out riding mine. The weather this weekend has been fantastic and I put more miles on than I have since September. The forecast for tomorrow (Nov 29) shows Hudson and Medina will be warmer than where I used to live in LA. I know it won't last, but the snow and extreme cold cycle with thaws and reasonable (40F?) temperatures all winter. Last year I rode at least several times every month all winter long. :cool:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Raproe - I'm really making a bigger issue out of Ohio weather than necessary. Like yourself, I got out this past weekend (Sat on the W650, Sun on the T100), and racked up close to 500 miles. This was actually a good year, mileage-wise, for me. As the riding season winds down, except for a rare day or two between now and spring, my final mileage looks like this:

Total mileage on all three bikes for 2006, including 5K trip out west on the T100: 23164 miles.
2006 mileage exclusively on the T100: 12126 miles.

Keeping track of mileage is anal retentive, for sure, or perhaps just a carry over from riding Beemers exclusively for over 15 years, where most of the members of BMWMOA keep tabs on their mileage.

Well, gotta ride down to Norton, Ohio now and pick up a set of rotors and pads for the old A4. I think it'll all fit in the Beemer saddlebags.

I'd better pick up some more Stabil while I'm at it.

Bob

·
Registered
519 Posts
Me too guys...rode to Minerva down Rte 30 on Sat...around 125 miles...great bike weather and I'll re-winterize later, but for now....Yea Indian Summer!!!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
On 2006-11-28 11:02, bgaz wrote:
I have put the bonny black in storage, but left the 1969 Daytona in the garage, and glad I did with all the warm weather so far.

I keep trying to talk the wife into moving to Tennessee,
like around paris. Low cost of living, I could buy 2 houses
and rent one out, and get a ***** job and do well.
Mild climate, space, low taxes, nice roads, what more could you want?

Brett
Born and raised in Bergen County NJ...I moved to knoxville for six years....it was just too hot for me...the whole time I was there it never snowed...and after being in Maine for five years I am working on returning to NJ...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I grew up in towns around Akron, so I can understand that Ohio winters can really get to you. I didn't mind the snow so much as the way the cold and wet would drag on and on into and through April. One of the things that is great about this area is that winter ends when you want it to, like March. We get a full four seasons, but the cold one is shorter than the others. Spring in Appalachia is amazingly beautiful, and summer at this altitude is much easier than in Ohio. The locals start yelling heat wave at 90 degrees. We have a lot of folks retiring here now, as is the case up and down the mountains. One caveat to all this bliss is that it can be tough to ride the Blue Ridge from November to the beginning of May, and that applies to all the great twisties between here and the Parkway. It simply gets too cold to be safe. One minute you seem okay, and the next, it's dropped several degrees and you're on ice. Plus the road crews put down stuff they call "chat" otherwise known as gravel. Fortunately, there's still plenty of great riding at lower elevations.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ohiorider, the best move I ever made was to the Charlotte area. We get all four seasons, but the leaves just fell a couple weeks ago. It snowed three years ago.

I get three distinct rides from my house.
NW= Ashville, The Parkway & the twisties are two hours
NE = Rolling hills & great cruising toward Greensboro
S = Stretch the legs thru the Sandhills & 3 hours to Myrtle.

badrufus is right about living in JC. People are discovering it may be the best kept secret anywhere. I spent a couple weeks there. It's a hard place to leave.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-11-29 00:47, dardoonk wrote:

I get three distinct rides from my house.
NW= Ashville, The Parkway & the twisties are two hours
NE = Rolling hills & great cruising toward Greensboro
S = Stretch the legs thru the Sandhills & 3 hours to Myrtle.
Good to hear from all you former Akronites! I ride from here at least once a year to get into the beautiful country and roads surrounding the area where you live. The thought of simply being able to fire it up, leave the garage and be in the middle of it within minutes is something to look forward to.

However, while I'm in Ohio, I'm thankful I'm living where I can get into some excellent roads (foothills of the Appalachians) in about an hour + south from home. My riding buddies and I also make an annual 'pilgrimage' east across US 250 into the really good riding areas in the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia, using the Snowshoe/Cass Railroad/Greenbank Radio Observatory area as our base camp.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob & othr NEO's,
I'm new to MC's & Triumphs. Are these Triumphs like animals & sense the impending winter? I thought I would ride when able then when the snow hit I would do the winterize thing. Is this planned flawed or can the bike go maybe 10 days or so without riding once it turns cold? Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know, Rick. My T100 starts knocking on the garage door after being parked for a couple of weeks, apparently trying to get my attention. By the time February rolls around, the Bonnie can accomplish this any time it's above 40 degrees. By that time, any excuse for a ride is ok.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bob,
I rode last winter with insulated coveralls & anytime it was close to 40. It was all new to me. I only enjoy riding more now & don't plan on changing this winter. I guess maybe I was asking if it was OK for the bike to set in the garage for 10 days or so without winterizing. I hope not to add stabil just more gas! Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ten days of sitting? You're not hurting anything. What I generally try to do when riding off and on thru the winter is to remember to park the bike with nearly a full tank of gas, just to reduce the chances of condensation in the fuel tank. Also, I try not to make short trips where the oil doesn't get up to operating temperature .... again a condensation thing, along with acids that starts eating up the innards of the exhaust system.

Bob

·
Registered
375 Posts
It does kill how Ohio winters drag on. I got a few hundred miles in over the weekend, and was looking forward to getting a couple more, but now it won't stop raining. I still love ohio though. no plans of moving anytime soon.
TJ

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CaspianThruxton - I couldn't agree more. I do love Ohio. I wish the winter was over sooner. I'm not originally from here ... but close. Charleston, West Virginia is hometown. I've lived in a few different cities (Toledo, Pittsburgh, Ann Arbor) and now in the Cleveland area. I made good friends in all these places, and since they're all within a couple hundred miles of each other, it's like I'm living in this huge MidWestern area, with friends in all corners separated only by a few hours of good bike riding.

I've been fortunate in that my moves never took me more than a 6-7 hour drive from my roots.

Bob

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On 2006-11-30 22:25, caspianthruxton wrote:
i can understand. I can't imagine moving to far away. We should set up an Ohio triumph ride next year.
There is a group of riders (The Packless Rats) who've been able to pull together several Bonneville riders for day rides in both the Youngstown and Newcomerstown, Ohio areas. I haven't seen their posts for a while, but I'm hoping one of them will drop you a note about the group.

Bob

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
A couple of thoughts:
On Ohio: I think Ohio is great, and have never once regretted spending the first 26 years of my life there. Buckeyes are wonderful people. The state is dotted with great lakes on which I spent many hours sailing and canoing. There are some very fine institutions of higher learning, and the Cleveland Orchestra is the best orchestra in the country--hey the NY Philharmonic took Cleveland's rejected conductor, and now he's outta there too. Nice people, great food, beautiful and varied countryside, excellent culture.

On East Tennessee: great place to move to at the right point in your life, whether retirement or earlier, like us. Cost of living is good, scenery is amazing, riding is . . . well, doubly amazing. The Appalachian culture is something you adjust to--it doesn't adjust to you. You figure out a way to live within a mountain culture, but I like that--the place is distinct because the people are distinct.

On Riding Intervals: I go two or three weeks sometimes between rides, and while I fret about stale gas and gummy carbs, my T100 always starts right up, runs great. I have the gear to ride down to freezing, and used to do it frequently when I lived in CT and was often commuting on the bike. Now I must admit that my older bones wimper and groan and I find myself less interested in cold rides. It's just physically harder than it used to be. If you are in a situation where you're pretty sure you can get a ride in every two weeks, I wouldn't worry about stabil. But I would take this minor and most would say obsessive caution: Drain the float bowls. A short length of (I think) 3/16" fuel line and a tin can are all it takes. Drain them and pour it back into the tank. Then you don't have the risk of crud build-up in the needle valves and stuck floats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.