Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

There's a chance a Kawi W650 may soon be joining our little fleet. My wife has got a bad case of sidecar-itis, and I located a W650 with Velorex hack for sale. Planning to go see it on Friday.

It's a 2000 model, I believe under 10,000 miles. Besides the obvious, is there any particular glitch with the W650 I should be checking for before we buy? It seems like a pretty simple bike, but ya never know.....

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mare-

Please feel free to delete or move this post lest any other forum members get their panties in a bunch about discussing a Bonneville clone in a Bonneville forum.

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
393 Posts
Those are nice little bikes and the bevel drive overhead cam drive is fantastic.

Make sure the sidecar mounts are really solid; I've seen some for a Velorex that were not nearly robust enough and it caused the sidecar to move around when, and where, it shouldn't have. The other thing is to make sure you're sprockets are set up to drive a sidecar; in other words, you'll want a larger rear or smaller front sprocket (or both) so that you have decent pulling power and don't over strain the motor, clutch, or transmission.

Post photos if you get a change.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Jonathan, sorry we hurt your feelings. Try this:

Yahoo W650 Riders Group

I'm sure these Kawasaki owners would know far more about that bikes idiosyncrasies than we Triumph owners would. Also can a search to find the three other guys here that own w650's and PM them.

Good Luck. :-D

[ This message was edited by: Ridge on 2007-03-07 14:17 ]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'd love to see more hacks on bonnevilles here. :cool:
You guys need to get on that asap. Report back with pics as soon as you've made the necessary modifications. :-D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OK, let's review: The "NEW AND IMPROVED" Twins Hang-Out is sposed to resemble a bar/gathering point on a group ride, right?

Therefore, somebody asking a question about their wife getting a different kind of bike seems to be a reasonable thing to talk about.

Further, some of us are just NICER than others. Some of us are a bit too sarcastic. But we're just a bunch of folks hanging around talking about bikes.

Continue discussion. Jonathon, you can delete your own posts if you'd like by using the Edit function. There's a check box about a third of the way down the screen. :hammer:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow, Flame On!!!! ***? Jonathan, as it appears I may be the exception, I am one those here that sees a closer resemblance to the original Triumphs in the Kawasaki offering than the current T-100. Imitation = Flattery in this case.

Ohio Rider (Bob) still has a W650 with a bunch of miles on it. He would be an excellent contact. I have asked him about other bikes he's had in his stable and he gives a very nice synopsis of the pros/cons.

BTW, you have a very nice stable, big thumbs up on your wife's current ride too!

BobW :chug:

ohiorider link

[ This message was edited by: bobw3592 on 2007-03-07 15:36 ]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question's been posted to the W650 group on Yahoo.

Starting a discussion about topicality was the last thing I had in mind, believe me. Mare doesn't want to delete the thread, so let's just let it die a natural death........

·
Registered
393 Posts
It could have been worse; he could have said wider tires are better on a W650, or asked if he should remove his exhaust balance pipe, or said he was going to put rocks in his open headers because after "lots of research" someone said it would make his engine powerfuller.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Drop me a PM. I've put over 50k on my 2000 W650, and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I would definitely get a W650 if the price was right. And I would Cafe' it up too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that bike. I do have one pet peeve about them though. We saw one at a Brit bike club show with a Triumph Badge on it. Now that I don't like!

Jonathan, Do some images searches in Google to see some interesting things people have done with them.

Here are some nice W650's.

I even found bobbers and scramblers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts