Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, i know its a triumph rip off. I saw one here in Austin a couple of weeks ago and there is one on ebay. looks like a cool bike. Anyone have any experience with one?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Searching online it seems they do not handle as well as the Bonnie, have a bit of wobble at speed in higher speed sweepers. Seems there were a few other gripes but as I recall it was a decent bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My buddy just got an '01. I test rode it and it's a great bike.
I was surprised at how good the stock exhaust sounds.

Lots of nice little touches like helmet lock, LCD odometer, centerstand and that awesome kick starter.

He's had it a couple weeks and already got a Corbin and small touring shield.

I don't like the bar position but that was the first change I made to my Bonnie.

He told me the guys on the Yahoo W650 list "sure do talk a lot about Bonnevilles".

Get one. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Dig this: http://www.w650shop.de/

[ This message was edited by: BonneRocker on 2007-02-02 01:22 ]

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Bob (ohiorider) has a beautiful one and loves it. In case he is shy when he posts let me know and I'll upload a pic of it I took last summer.

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On 2007-01-31 23:14, mecscc wrote:
Bob (ohiorider) has a beautiful one and loves it. In case he is shy when he posts let me know and I'll upload a pic of it I took last summer.

Monte :cool:
Monte knows how modest I am when it comes to talking about my W650. Purchased in August 2000, the bike now has 52,000 miles (trouble free) on the odometer. The only engine tweaking done was to drill out the plugs on the carbs and richen up the pilot jets a bit. Bolt-on's added to the bike are
- Kawasaki low handlebar kit (weird bars 1" dia necked down to 3/4"
- National Cycle flyscreen
- Corbin Gunfighter solo saddle
- Five Star Mounts and Givi E21 hard bags
- Five Star rack (like RennTech) only installed when traveling.

If anyone wants, I have written a couple of longer comparisons between the W and my T100, which I'd be happy to post. Just ask.

Here's some photos of the bike Monte and I took early last summer.

W650 Photos on PhotoBucket

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-02-01 08:16 ]

·
Registered
358 Posts
On 2007-01-31 21:20, shhs97 wrote:
yes, i know its a triumph rip off.
AxChewily, it's a derivative of a derivative of a rip off of the BSA A7...

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
The W650 does have roots in earlier Kaw vertical twins that actually go back to the mid 1960s. As PantherCity stated, the bikes, at least the W1 and W2 series bikes, were much more closely related to BSA than Triumph. Kaw acquired the designs from a much older Japanese bike builder, Meguro. Here's a nice German link (in German) but with some nice shots of the original W bikes.

Photos of Kawasaki W1 and W2 from mid 1960s

History of W Series bikes

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-02-01 10:53 ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 2000 w650, it was a wonderful first bike.Several features
the Triumph lacks (fork gaiters, helmet lock,clock, grab rail) and I sure miss the kick starter.
That being said, my t100 handles much better at higher speeds,
and has a lot more power, and is much more comfortable for two up riding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They still make a 400 in Asia.

We looked for one and they sell quickly, but after having one ride with us on our Bonnies the guy was a little embarassed.

They really do look the part.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I looked at the pix of Monte's and friend's bikes on pho bucket. All I can say is WOW! How did you get your wife to let you build that garage on the back of your house?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts