Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the looks of the 3 small air filters that I have seen fitted to some bikes. What is the model of filter that is commonly being used? Where can they be gotten? What is done with the sensor that is screwed into the plastic air box under the gas tank? Can the radiator overflow tank be kept in it's standard location without much notice? Will the bike run ok with these air filters, or will it need a computer modifier?

·
Registered
855 Posts
K&N RU-2780s will fit under the bearclaw without removing the overflow.

I tried the 1700's also but couldn't get them to fit. The problem area is where the bearclaw attaches on the rear portion of the gas tank, not much clearance. I'll sell you a set cheap if you want to try yourself. :-D

DougL has done some research on the flow rates and the triple set up with the 2780's don't flow as much (on paper) as the under seat K&N. However K&N did say having one on each throttle body does produce better results than what was calculated. Plus air doesn't have to flow the length of the intake tube.

The air temp sensor gets covered with the K&N 62-1560 and zip tied under the claw.

I would recommend getting a PCIII or download a tune with Tuneboy. At bare minimum do the 12 minute tune and have the dealer load the 20050 tune (if you don't already have it) or the 20055 tune.

Since you are under the bearclaw you should also remove the secondary throttle plates/butterflies from the throttle bodies also. Unless you get a tuneboy which you can open them 100% of the time by means of the ECU.

[ This message was edited by: Pig9r on 2006-12-13 16:27 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend getting a PCIII or download a tune with Tuneboy. At bare minimum do the 12 minute tune and have the dealer load the 20050 tune (if you don't already have it) or the 20055 tune.

Since you are under the bearclaw you should also remove the secondary throttle plates/butterflies from the throttle bodies also. Unless you get a tuneboy which you can open them 100% of the time by means of the ECU.
So the dealer has the ability to load this 20055 or 20050? What is the difference between them? My bike is a 2006 classic. I dont know what tune came with it.

What do I do to remove the secondary plates? Take off the throttle body and reach them from undernieth? What is the purpose of those plates, and will it effect driveablilty or reliability to remove them? Are they just restrictors, or do they improve volocity at low rpm?
I am also considering a Rasch 3 into 1 muffler, to clean up the rear, and maybe get a little more sound. Any experience with this muffler?
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Basically after you remove the plenum you will see the butterflies toward the top of each of the throttle bodies. There are two screws holding each one in place. Block the bottom of each butterfly to keep the screws from falling in the throttle body when you remove them, tape probably would work well. Unscrew each screw and remove the plates. Fairly easy to get to.

The only affect you will feel is more power. Many many rocket owners have done it with no ill effects to the bike. I have a Tuneboy and have them open 100% of the time.

The plates limit power in the first couple of gears. The ignition is retarded in the first three? gears also. Another benefit of Tuneboy is that you can copy the ignition maps from 4th or 5th gear to 1st-3rd gears. Makes a big difference too.

For the classic the most appropriate tune would be 20097. However, all of the Triumph tunes are lean. If you remove the catalytic converter and put on after market exhaust you will get popping on decel because of the lean condition. Tuneboy or PCIII is the only way to remedy the problem.

I have Maddog pipes on my Rocket. I'm not familiar with the system you are talking about.

Just make sure after any intake or exhaust mod, do the 12 minute tune to force adaptions. Or do the same with Tuneboy.

[ This message was edited by: Pig9r on 2006-12-13 22:02 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you once again. I will call my dealer and ask if they can do the tuneboy tunes. If not, I will wait until spring, when a new triumph dealer is opening in Hartford, and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I doubt your dealer even knows what Tuneboy is. There is very little support and it is very much DIY.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a question about a fairly stock set up. With only the stock box K&N, stock pipes etc.... is it worth it to remove the butterflies as well for more power...or does the stock ECM program not capable of seeing this change?

·
Registered
876 Posts
If I read this right, all you're really looking for is the three K&N set up. All you would need for this are the filters that Pig9r mentioned and, for your purposes, I would go with the DynoJet Power Commander over the TuneBoy. You don't need to worry about the secondary butterflies.

I do not know if Triumph changed fuel mapping numbers with the Classic, but you will need the stock map loaded. On regular Rockets, it's the 20050 map. The Power Commander makes it's adjustments off of this map. It's pretty much plug and play. DynoJet has a map for Jardine aftermarket exhaust, that I believe would work with this set up as well. The Power Commander can then dyno tuned to your liking, if need be. I'm using their recommended map for my set up and it runs awesome.

The TuneBoy is great and offers many more adjustments than the Power Commander, and it allows you to alter the real fuel map as opposed to making adjustments down stream as the Power Commander does but is not as widely supported yet as the Power Commander.

Removing the secondaries gives you the 7% of power that Triumph takes away in the 1st three gears. Their purpose is not only to provide the "power reduction", but also to provide smooth on/off throttle transitions.

So, to sum it up, K&N RU-2780s or 1700s, which ever style you prefer, the K&N 62-1560, for the air temp sensor and a DynoJet PowerCommander and start with the "ms510-004 tune. This is my plan in the near future. If you are running the stock exhaust system, you may try a different map.

nullnull"canned DynoJet mappings"

Rain may also play a factor, there are water resistant covers avaialable.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't forget that Triumph also limits power in the first few gears through ignition mapping. With Tuneboy you can copy the fully advanced maps from 4th and 5th gears to 1st-3rd.

Toystoretom has a PCIII on his bike. We loaded a Tuneboy map into his bike with the ignition mapping changes and told the ECM to keep the secondaries open 100% (his were removed anyway). He notice a substantial power increase and increase in throttle response.

But for pure simplicity of getting a custom fuel map a PCIII is the way to go. Though Tuneboy can emulate a PCIII and run on a dynojet dyno, I think you would be hard pressed to find a tuner to mess with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts