Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having probs with a K&N Filter not fitting their Bonnie? I have one in the Scram, fits perfect. Here's what I've found so far:
The external dimensions of the filter are spot on. The problem is in the closed end of the filter. The internal oval is too narrow in diameter and too shallow as compared to the stocker. The internal prongs of the airbox then won't allow the filter to slide all of the way in. Could make for a sticky situation in that the sealing lid can not seal properly against the airbox because the filter will not seat deep enough to allow such=unfiltered air to engine.
K&N has been great to work with. I've sent them mold numbers of the airbox and they are looking into it. Originally they sent me a 2nd filter thinking that it may have been an odd discrepancy but it suffers from the same symptoms.
Buyer beware!!!!
I'll keep the info. coming as it develops.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, definitely weird. What is a bit scary is it does "fit" in that it will slide in and you can in fact put the lid/cap back on and snug up the screws. The lid/cap however is held out from the airbox surface about 1/8" to 3/16", a slight gap that you can feel and see. When compared with the stocker installed, there is no gap, lid fits snug against airbox.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 09 was the same way - and the K&N's on my two 07's go together easily. I solved the problem by putting a thin film of silicone grease on the inner edge of the K&N, and then wiggling the cover as I secured the 3 screws it dropped right in.

Dick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts