Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does fitting a k&n air filter make much difference and do you have to have the engine remapped and how easy or hard is it to fit i know the tanks got to come off

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
does fitting a k&n air filter make much difference and do you have to have the engine remapped and how easy or hard is it to fit i know the tanks got to come off
Blimey is there an older question!!,does the bike make more HP,no,does it respond better yes it does,if your going to fit one,dremmel the blanking plate out of the air box,that will give the engine an major boost,worried about doing that?? buy a secondhand airbox of e-bay like i did,think i paid £12!!

Have alway run mine since the day i bought it new with off road map,was concerned about the airbox mod and K+N,runs perfect including one major high speed run in Italy on the stop for the best part of a 100 miles!.

Fitting is easy,just make sure the tank is empty before you attempt to lift it off the bike,because that can be interesting,even if it's half full,and to make the most of job,fit a 19t engine sprocketcause the engine will pull it like a stock 18,although were you live hardly important!!.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks winger

i will order mine off e bay today and thanks for the tips where do you get the 19 t engine sprocket

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
i will order mine off e bay today and thanks for the tips where do you get the 19 t engine sprocket
Anyone that sells sprockets,fromm Renthal to your Triumph dealer,there are other models that use a 19t and they also have the rubber cush on the sides,which the aftermarket don't have,not that i'd consider it important.

What you must remember with the airbox,do not be tempted to open the two halfs up,it's screwed together,but when you try to undo the screws the'll stick,and the furrells will turn in the other half of the case,just dremmel the plastic blanking plate out,and make sure you vacum all the bits out after!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Please don't let another engine :eek: be prematurely worn out by fine sand.... http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The worst thing you could do for an engine, except for no oil, overheat, etc....
It wouldn't be a K+N thread without one of these!!,i didn't have any sand in my stock filter and don't have any in my K+N either,and more importantly nothing the other side.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
winger i'm with you

the mechanic at the dealer said it would be no problem so i is going to fit it but maybe later do the air box thing haven't found one to play with yet i can get an engine sprocket for £12.50 plus p&p 19t so heer i go will post when i've done it:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've been a bit busy

the mother in law has been diagnosed with a massive tumour on the brain totally in operable given her six month so thing's are a bit up in the air at the moment i'll think about the bike later the bikes at the dealers getting sorted from my crash the other week so all i want is to get the bike back then go for a ride to clear my head if you know what i mean speak to you later dude

·
Registered
26 Posts
the mechanic at the dealer said it would be no problem so i is going to fit it but maybe later do the air box thing haven't found one to play with yet i can get an engine sprocket for £12.50 plus p&p 19t so heer i go will post when i've done it:)
so long as the dealer mech says so.... :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts